Question HPOP Reservoir EMPTY! Is this something wrong?

777funk

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just removed my HPOP and the reservoir was empty as in it looked like it is draining internally.

Is this normal or is something wrong? If the second, what could it be?
thanks!
Nick

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
once you remove the HPOP you will drain all of the oil to see if it is actually draining internally you can pull the plug in the top of the reservoir and see if it is full.

If your HPOP was draining then you would have difficult starts in the morning after the oil drained back to the pan and the LPOP had to refill the HPOP res before the ICP would see the pressure required to fire off the injectors.

777funk

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just realized maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Is the reservoir the fill plug on the pump itself or the "timing gear" cover?

The timing gear cover is what had no oil in it. I'm not sure if this should be or not. Maybe I have nothing to worry about.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the fill plug is up at the same level as the oil pressure sensor it is on top of the silver box just above the timing cover.

milspark1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I hate to carry on an old thread, but I just found this same problem this morning. The HPOP was bone dry after serching as to why the truck would not start. I have been having problems with the truck taking a while to start in the mornings that I thought was GPR and or glow plugs. after several attempts of troubleshooting the gpr and plugs i have founf they are not the problem, the HPOP is draining overnight but only slightly. The truck has been sitting for about a week, and there is no oil leaking from the block or on the ground, which leaves me to beleive it is just going back to the pan. Do you all think I need to rebuild or replace the HPOP, or could it be leaking into the heads thru a bad o-ring or something? I did the injetors with the DIY kit about 8 months ago.

dpantazis

Reaction score
you are sure that there are no external leaks?
does the the truck live outside and is cold soaked with cold oil or inside a warm and toasty garage?. is the usually truck parked level, nose high or nose low.

there are a number of things to check.

resevior front cover oring
internal leak though the pump, like due to a worn front cover
internal stand pipes
front cover worn
de-areation valve
there is a check valve on the fill line.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
open the drain for the water seperator and drain some fuel into a cup or clean bucket,or pull the fuelfilter.what color is the fuel?if its black/oily you most likely need injector o-rings wich can be a cause for a high pressure oil leak down.

milspark1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok The fuel is good no black or oily residue. My filter is clean with no oily crap on the bottom of it in the lip or anything. fuel bowl is clean with no residue. My block is clean with the exeption of the leaky dip stick problem. The truck sits outside at a slight nose up position, and is plugged in at night when it is below 32 degrees. It sat for 2 days and when i checked the HPOP, it was about 3/4" down from where it was when I parked it. It takes a few revolutions to get it to fire in stock mode, and even worse when I program it with my superchips programmer. I am also only getting 12mpg no matter how I drive it or in what program it is in. If I pull my 7,000lb trailer i get about 6-8mpg and can barely pull at 65 mph. It has very little in the power department.

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
you are sure that there are no external leaks?
does the the truck live outside and is cold soaked with cold oil or inside a warm and toasty garage?. is the usually truck parked level, nose high or nose low.

there are a number of things to check.

resevior front cover oring
internal leak though the pump, like due to a worn front cover
internal stand pipes
front cover worn
de-areation valve
there is a check valve on the fill line.

You have to check what he said. ;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58