HPOP reservoir is cracked

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I found my oil leak. There is a crack in the lower portion of the HPOP reservoir on the end nearest to the alternator. :rant:(:confused::dizzy
I have no idea how it got there, I haven't done anything I can think of that would have caused it.
View attachment 9969

All discussion of how it happened aside, I need options/solutions.

-Is there some product I can use to "weld" the crack? Would JB Weld do any good? I also have some of that super nasty grey RTV that International makes, would that do any good?

-From what I understand, the lower HPOP reservoir is part of the front cover. Is the front cover replaceable without pulling the engine?

-Is cast aluminum weldable?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Front cover removal is engine removal.

Yes you can weld aluminum. Click. You could try one of the epoxy products (JB Weld or the like) but I would stay away from RTV type products.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Front cover removal is engine removal.

Yes you can weld aluminum. Click. You could try one of the epoxy products (JB Weld or the like) but I would stay away from RTV type products.

I was watching that video when you replied.

I've got nothing to loose for trying it from what I can see.

I didn't see the crack before because the oil level was above that of the crack.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
TG-

I would not mess with it. have bob sent you a new hpop. he would be interested in knowing that there was a casting failure. sucks that you have to take everything apart again, but you are practiced at it! at least find out if bob will take it back after you have F'd with it.

talk to bob and see what he recommends that you do. it probably would not hurt to ask him fro some freebies for all your troubles. i know he prides himself on quality products and first class service. you paid for it, use it.

anyhow, technically speaking, if its a crack, it will continue to grow until it arrests. to stop it from growing, you need to drill a hole ALL THE WAY THROUGH the material at each end of the crack, then seal it all up. i would V out the crack to get a bigger bonding surface. then hope that whatever you used will stay in place. its a lot of fussy stuff, do you really want to mess with it?

i would not weld it. that creates residual stresses. you have to clean it REALLY good. and you have to ground it somehow, and being a pump, i would want it off the truck to get a clean ground. no sense risking a bearing for a bad part.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I would not mess with it. have bob sent you a new hpop.

You're not understanding what the issue is. There is nothing wrong with the HPOP. The problem is the big cast aluminum piece the HPOP mounts to, aka the front cover. An integral part of the cast aluminum front cover, is the lower portion of the reservoir that supplies oil to the HPOP. Somehow or another, I got a crack in the reservoir portion of that big assed cast piece of aluminum.
Under pressure, it's pissing oil all over everything. Thats what the problem is.

I have ordered some of those wonder aluminum soldering sticks. I just have to wait for them now to arrive.

dpantazis

Reaction score
TG-

my bad. i though it was on the hpop.

i have used those sticks before. they are more like aluminum brazing rods. some i have used were like straws with the flux inside. otehrs had not flux. they both worked, but cosmetically, they were noticable. but in your case, who cares?

i would still suggest that you drill out the ends of the crack to stop it from growing.

you might try a marine outboard repair place, they probably use them. my local welding supply has them from time to time.

and its got to be CLEAN. not just wash it all down in brake clean, but REALLY REALLY CLEAN.

dp

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
REALLY REALLY CLEAN.
Really clean is a understatement when it comes to welding aluminum. After you clean it heat it up to boil out the embedded oil then clean it again. Any impurities will give you trouble when welding aluminum.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but I found my oil leak. There is a crack in the lower portion of the HPOP reservoir on the end nearest to the alternator. :rant:(:confused::dizzy
I have no idea how it got there, I haven't done anything I can think of that would have caused it.
View attachment 9969

All discussion of how it happened aside, I need options/solutions.

-Is there some product I can use to "weld" the crack? Would JB Weld do any good? I also have some of that super nasty grey RTV that International makes, would that do any good?

-From what I understand, the lower HPOP reservoir is part of the front cover. Is the front cover replaceable without pulling the engine?

-Is cast aluminum weldable?

I'd JBWeld it and go camping

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Whudya come up with Kent? JLD is correct, the JB will work fine but it sure would be fun to play with that alu-mini-mum welding stuff. But prolly more fun for me since its not my HPOP thats cracked.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58