Hpop

mspainting

Painting The Town
Reaction score
My mechanic told me & through ready about F series diesles my HPOP is leaking back into the oil pan. Sometimes the truck won't start because hpop is dry or it will start but won't run long & won't restart without putting oil inthe hpop. So my ? is if it is syphon tube how hard is it to fix & does anyone know where there are instructions on line

DIESELSITE

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My mechanic told me & through ready about F series diesles my HPOP is leaking back into the oil pan. Sometimes the truck won't start because hpop is dry or it will start but won't run long & won't restart without putting oil inthe hpop. So my ? is if it is syphon tube how hard is it to fix & does anyone know where there are instructions on line

There are a few possibilities, but you have to be specific.

When you know you have a no/ hard start condition, you must check the reservoir BEFORE you crank it. Once you've tried to start it after it sat, the information is worthless.

If the reservoir is empty BEFORE you crank it, you have a bad gasket under the reservoir bowl. No big deal. Change the gasket. You have a standpipe in the reservoir that prevents drainback. The only exit to the pan IS the gasket in your model year truck. Here is an example of the gasket https://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=889

If the reservoir is full before you crank it and it doesn't start, the problem is on the high pressure side ie: IPR, leak, etc.

If the reservoir is full before you crank it and it DOES start, but only for a few seconds and then the reservoir is empty, then you have a bad block standpipe check valve or bad low pressure oil pump.

If filling the reservoir fixes it and the truck runs perfectly the rest of the day, clean out the check valve pocket- it's next to the oil pump in the block- square head drive pointing straight down on the driver's side of the oil pump behind the reservoir. Your LPOP is just loosing prime after sitting in this case.

So as you can see, your symptoms the way you described them were like saying I'm hot and cold at the same time.
won't start because hpop is dry or it will start but won't run long
Those are two completely different issues and require different fixes. I doubt two of the above is wrong at the same time.

HPOP/ reservoir instructions. https://www.dieselsite.com/pdffiles/adrenalineinstallationinstructions.pdf

Hope that helps.
Bob
emailsignaturelogo.gif

mspainting

Painting The Town
Reaction score
When it does not start the oil in the resvoir is empty, When it starts & does not keep running it runs out oil like it can't pick up fast enough. Ok it sounds like i have both those problems at different times

mspainting

Painting The Town
Reaction score
Ok do i have to put an o ring on there or loc tite & i looked at it will stuff pop out when i unscrew the bolt & howmany parts are there?

DIESELSITE

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ok do i have to put an o ring on there or loc tite & i looked at it will stuff pop out when i unscrew the bolt & howmany parts are there?

It's an o-ring plug. Nothing is going to "explode" on you. LOL There's just a plug, sping and ball. Pretty easy.

Bob

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just watch for the ball.. they like to fall out when your not looking, or they will not fall out and you think you have lost them...LOL

JRJ04

Reaction score
anyone have pics of this? Is the low pressure oil pump the same thing as the IPR or are these 2 different things?

dpantazis

Reaction score
j:

2 different things.

the low pressure oil pump is 'inside' the engine like on other motors. its behind the water pump on the front of the engine and the hpop mounts to it.
low pressure system-
Oil_System.jpg

high pressure system-
High-Pressure_Oil_System_Descriptio.jpg

iirc, its index number 9 in the HP system pic. ipr is a regulator very much like the fuel pressure regulator that you shimmed.

dp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58