Hub assembly prices?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just priced a hub assembly for my early 99 from NAPA and he quotes 570...Will the late 99 hub work? That hub is only 370. Anyone know of a cheap dealer?
Jesse

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Last March/April Tbar replaced a hub on his early 99,perhaps he'll chime in with the early/late 99 hub compatibility.

Here's an Article he wrote up :sweet

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up. I've already had it apart to replace the vacuum seal inside it, now I need to get rid of the scrubbing/grinding noise up there. I hope that the cheaper hub will work...
Jesse

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I think the later hub will work, BUT, you'll have to use a late 99.5 brake rotor also. I know there is about 1/8" difference in height between an early 99 rotor and a 99.5. I have to assume that equates to a like difference in the two hubs also.

When I did my Dynatrac project, I got two sets of caliper spacers. The thicker ones were for use with the early 99 brake rotors, the thinner ones for use with the 99.5 and later rotors. The difference in the bushings was about 1/8".

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Mine is a 99.5 Bill and I paid 300-400 for it because my truck had all wheel abs.

Tbar

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the caliper/bracket interchange? So the ID of the 99 rotor is 1/8" smaller than the 99.5? Tbar's hub looks exactly like mine...
Jesse

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
orion_134 said:
Will the caliper/bracket interchange? So the ID of the 99 rotor is 1/8" smaller than the 99.5? Tbar's hub looks exactly like mine...
Jesse

The 1/8" difference is in the amount of offset or height (not diameter) between the hub face that mates with the rotor and the outer portion or breaking surface. (I think the bracket and caliper dimensions are the same from early 99's and later, someone correct me if I'm wrong.) The rotor on the early 99's is sized in such a way that when it is fitted to the hub, the braking surface is aligned in the center of the caliper. Likewise, the rotor on the 99.5 & later is sized in such a way that when it is fitted to that hub, the braking surface is aligned in the center of the caliper. The hubs are obviously different since the rotors are different. I think the difference of the hubs may result from the addition of the internal ABS exciter ring that was added to the later versions.

I seem to recall that Rex-a-ford went down this same road recently. Maybe he'll report in on this and lay some knowledge on us.

Rex-a-FORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on this thread Tail_Gunner.

I installed a 99.5 hub on my early 99 using the early 99 rotor. TailGunner is right, there is about an 1/8' difference in the hub offset, not rotor diameter. All I had to do to make the early 99 rotor work with the 99.5 hub was to shim the caliper mounting bracket out about an 1/8" from the spindle mounting points. I used two 9/16" flat washers, one at the upper mounting point and one at the lower mounting point. The mounting surfaces for caliper mounting bracket are big enuf and flat so the flat washer worked really well. If you looked at TBar's fourth picture from the top, the one with the impact taking the bolt out, that's the top caliper mounting bolt the impact is on. You can see that it's a good sized bolt and that there is plenty of room for a flat washer.

If look at the size of the bolts involved and the small amount shimming distance involved you shouldn't be worried about doing this at all.

I actually talked to Dyna-Trac and they were the ones that told me how thick the shim had to be. They include shims with there free-spin kit if you order it for an early 99.

And, like others have said........If you don't want to mess with the $1 washers then you can buy the $60 99.5 rotor and not have to shim anything.

The 99.5 hub and rotor fits the early 99 just fine.

On Edit: I paid $279 for my 99.5 hub at the local Arnold's part store.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14