Hub needle bearing

dpantazis

Reaction score
Guess I just didn't luck up on getting a 2 piece axle....or I was lied to:dunno

1. the needle bearing inside the unit bearing hub is not replaceable. greasable- yeah sort of. but not replaceable.

2. if you have a 4x, its a 2 piece axle.

3. if you have shavings inside the pumpkin, the something else is going on. there are bearings in the housing that the stub axles ride on. did those go bad? iirc, that is a major tear down.

4. if your bearings in the hub went bad, there is NO way for the shrapnel to into the axle tubes. think about it.

5. you are still getting confused about hubs. we refer to the unit hearing as a hub, and we refer to the locking hubs as hubs. not the same thing. taking the locking hubs off is a piece of cake. taking the unit hub off is a few hours work.

sbiggi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
1. the needle bearing inside the unit bearing hub is not replaceable. greasable- yeah sort of. but not replaceable.

5. you are still getting confused about hubs. we refer to the unit hearing as a hub, and we refer to the locking hubs as hubs. not the same thing. taking the locking hubs off is a piece of cake. taking the unit hub off is a few hours work.

1. The needle bearing is replaceable. You can get it from napa or ford.

5. The hub unit or wheel bearing unit is a piece of cake to replace. Takes less then a hour to pop it off and a new one in with out a lift if you arent swapping mounting hardware to the new unit. The locking hub unit takes litterally 30 seconds or less to pop off.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score

2. if you have a 4x, its a 2 piece axle.

3. if you have shavings inside the pumpkin, the something else is going on. there are bearings in the housing that the stub axles ride on. did those go bad? iirc, that is a major tear down.

4. if your bearings in the hub went bad, there is NO way for the shrapnel to into the axle tubes. think about it.

Now that you mention it....the bearings were bad.

I also think I got confused....It is a 2 piece axle connected by the u-joint but IIRC, the ford dealer told me they only sale the in-board and out-board shaft as one unit. The parts guy at first told me that I could buy just the outboard shaft, but when I called back later he said he was mistaken.

I can have the locking hub out in about 10-15sec (including the time to grab the pliers out from the door side pocket). I can have the unit hub off in about 30min with basic tools and 2 cheater bars.

"1. The needle bearing is replaceable. You can get it from napa or ford."

I think you and DP are talking about 2 different things here. I've never heard of being able to replace the bearings in the unit hub assy. Are our hub assembly bearins needle or ball?

sbiggi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Now that you mention it....the bearings were bad.

I also think I got confused....It is a 2 piece axle connected by the u-joint but IIRC, the ford dealer told me they only sale the in-board and out-board shaft as one unit. The parts guy at first told me that I could buy just the outboard shaft, but when I called back later he said he was mistaken.

I can have the locking hub out in about 10-15sec (including the time to grab the pliers out from the door side pocket). I can have the unit hub off in about 30min with basic tools and 2 cheater bars.

"1. The needle bearing is replaceable. You can get it from napa or ford."

I think you and DP are talking about 2 different things here. I've never heard of being able to replace the bearings in the unit hub assy. Are our hub assembly bearins needle or ball?

There is a TSB or service bulletin with the outer shaft part number, I dont think it will just show up for the parts guy.

The needle bearing I'm refereing to it the one on the back side of the assembly. Pictures and all that are in the link in my first post. Ford says the main bearings in the hub unit are not serviceable.

sbiggi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
seth-
how are you getting that bearings out? i hauled scrap so i don't have any junk hubs to look at.
dennis

I didnt try since my wheel bearing was also toast, might try to hit it out from the front with a long screw driver to the lip of the bearing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58