Hub Problem after Ball Joints Replaced

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few months back I had the OEM Ball Joints replaced @190K this weekend I needed my 4 wheel drive but it would never lock into 4 wheel.

I went to the local shop for them to check truck. They think all that needed is to clean hubs and normal PM. They also claim the hubs " DO NOT NEED VACUUM".

I have an appointment on Wednesday for them to clean and check 4 X 4

What sould I be looking for in their repair?

Thanks

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck still has the OE hubs they are vacuum actuated unless you override the auto by manually lock them. I bet that when the ball joints were replaced one or both of the front hub seals were disturbed causing a leak therefore the hub assembly can't hold vacuum to engage and disengage the hubs.

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge no seals were repleced on the Hubs.

Thank you for the reply.

Now my question would be clean hubs and replace seal? Would this solve problem?

Thanks

Ken

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 3 seals on each hub/bearing assembly that can pose a problem. The reason I suggested that one of the seals might of got disturbed is that they needed to be removed to replace the ball joints. 9 times out of 10 cleaning the hubs and replacing a few seals solves the problem.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
ken i am in the same boat just posted it in ex forum seals are dealer item not a bad job to do yourself outer seal is 40.00 bucks you have to pull axle half shaft and bearing so check the intermediate seal also mine was toast along with bearing hub 315.00 at O'reillys

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few months back I had the OEM Ball Joints replaced @190K this weekend I needed my 4 wheel drive but it would never lock into 4 wheel.

I went to the local shop for them to check truck. They think all that needed is to clean hubs and normal PM. They also claim the hubs " DO NOT NEED VACUUM".

I have an appointment on Wednesday for them to clean and check 4 X 4

What sould I be looking for in their repair?

Thanks

Look here...

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

Hope this helps

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that detailed DYI on the needle bearings (guzzles...) is fantastic!:thumbs I just was told recently that those front hubs are non-serviceable. :tounge Thanks! :thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14