Hub tool

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a clue on how to get the big aluminum nut off of the front hub on a 96 f250 with auto hubs? Been to NAPA twice and still have the wrong tool. Trying to investigate a possible bearing failure and I'm already fed up with the deal. Ready to light it on fire and walk away!

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
i havent had one apart in a long time but make sure you are turning the nut the right direction.i know on a rear hub i helped a friend with had reverse threads,had to turn it to the right to loosen it up.we found this out after using assorted hammers,chisels,air tools and a torch.:doh:

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front hub. And I've beat on it with a screwdriver and hammer and can't get it to turn either direction. Tried 7 different spindle/hub sockets and none fit. Dealership doesn't even show the same parts on thier computer.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the problem "nut" I'm trying to remove. Anyone seen this before or is my truck one of all the thousands they put this crap on?!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have never seen that one. I see a snap ring where the hub meets the brake/wheel hub. Pull out that snap ring using a small flat screw driver. You can try to turn that til the cows come home. Once you have the ring out, pull out the hub and you will see the nut with four channels cut into it. Use a wrench that fits this nut and remove, using common sense and a wrench handle. Clear?

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the Pic.. that looks more like a Cover, or Cap. I'd go with what Dave said...

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
I have never seen that one. I see a snap ring where the hub meets the brake/wheel hub. Pull out that snap ring using a small flat screw driver. You can try to turn that til the cows come home. Once you have the ring out, pull out the hub and you will see the nut with four channels cut into it. Use a wrench that fits this nut and remove, using common sense and a wrench handle. Clear?

Dave :)

what he said

Last edited:

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it's all so clear now!!! I found a diagram on Warn's site that showed me the light. Thanks for all the help. By the way, there is not a not a locknut that would require a spanner wrench or spindle wrench type tool. I am concerned that I'm missing what Warn referes to as a lockring key. Seems the lack thereof allowed my wheel retainer to back off which didn't allow the auto hub to work right and made my wheel loose. I also found that my thrustwashers are in a different order and of different material than they indicate. Not sure if any of that makes a difference though.
Here's the link I found with the diagram in case anyone needs it.

http://warn.iwebcat.com/imgVD/WAR/32722A2-pn32720.pdf

Now I'm off to battle replacing my door hinge pins!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14