HUBS...to lock or to unlock?

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do not leave the hubs in clockwise position. The vacuume, if working will activate and deactivate. The locking clockwise or counter clockwise is a fail safe if the vacuume fails and it usually does. The seals go bad. Either fix all seals and lines if neccessary and let the vacuume work. Or manually lock and unlock. Do not manually leave them locked unless you are in 4wd or its an emergency. Get out and unlcok them. Theres no reason to have the front axles, diff, and the front shaft working. Even some of the inner parts in the transfer case spin when hubs are locked(clockwise)

erichy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Auto is full counter clockwise, lock is full clockwise (used when your switch fails to lock the hubs). Mine is in very very small print and faded. If you look very close you can barely see auto and lock markings on mine. I have a 99 1/2 7.3 and i have to rev up to 1400 rpms in neutral or so to make the hubs lock with them set to auto. If it's too cold I have to get out and turn them to lock (full clockwise). When I get out and lock them I turn them back to auto as soon as I'm out of the fun I got myself into to prevent unnecessary wear.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14