hubs unlocked?

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my wheel bearings yesterday and I was looking at my hubs and noticed they onley have a white dot painted on them, they dont say lock or unlock. Can some one tellme if the dial needs to be lined up with the dot to be unlocked? Iv onley previously owned auto locking hub trucks and i want to make sure im not rideing around with the hubs locked in. My truck is a 02 f350 srw with the offroad package and I have a switch in the dash that says 4 low 4high and 2wd but im thinking that is just for the transfer case? Please help ,I have a 400 mile trip planed tomorrow and dont wana drive with them locked in?:dizzy

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have the ESOF hubs. Vacuum locking. And yes the switch controls it. As far as the hubs themselves? Lefty loosey, righty tighty.:D

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what i thought but I dont see any vacume lines anywere and when i turn the switch there is no change in the location of the hub part that turns in the middle(pointer)?

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That part I'm not sure of. Someone that knows more then me will chime in. Look at the vacuum pump. right close to it towards the front end you may have another part with vacuum lines running to it. No part, no esof. I have never paid attention to mine, except they work. May not move till you move the truck. I need to look at mine myself just fmi.

Or just go old faithful and turn them to the left. Then you know they're unlocked.

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot something. Turn'em left. Then reach in and turn your front driveshaft by hand. If it moves? Your unlocked.

I need a beer, my mind is slow today.

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turned em left,turned em right,truck in park,truck in neutral, No dice front drive shaft wont turn in any configuration ??

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
The ESOF hubs have two positions: Lock and Auto. When in Auto the hubs lock when you turn the switch using vacume. There are vacume lines that enter the steering knuckle near the ABS sensors. The outside of the hub will not move. My truck usually needed to be driven 10-20 feet before the hubs would lock in Auto.

When you turn the hub to Lock, the hubs will lock. This is usefull when you need to be locked right now or if you have a vacume leak.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58