hubs unlocked?

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, i turn them both . I have backed up went forward and everything in between, no luck. Can someone post a pic of a hub in the locked position and one in the unlocked position? PLEASE? :rolleyes:

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is getting weird.

Stupid question? The switch on the dash in 2WD?

Counterclockwise is unlocked. Clockwise is locked.

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes sir switch is in 2wd. whats weird to me is the switch seems to have no effect what so ever on my hubs? I just need to make sure they are un locked before the trip.

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then IMO that front driveshaft needs to turn by hand ( be free).

I know these other guys are thinking too. Imma go dig around and see if I can find something we're missing.

Hang in there, we'll figure it out.

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try this. Got someone with you? Put it in 2wd and move the truck. Have them look to see if the driveshaft moves.

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap I just remembered something. Sometimes when you switch back and forth alot on that 4wd switch the puter will lock it in for awhile to prevent unlocking ( I forgot why). May have to run it around a little with the switch in 2wd and retest.

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
If the switch is in 2wd you should be able to turn the front drive shaft by hand. If you can't, the hubs are locked or the transfer case is stuck in 4x. If you can't turn the front drive shaft, try turning the u-joints on each side. Again, no spin= locked hubs.

thompson238

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys got the darn things unlocked and i can turn the driveshaft by hand now.I turned the selector on the hubs to the left ,made sure the switch was in 2wd and drove about 10 miles and it was as free as could be! Now I had already done this once but onley drove about 1/2 mile but one would think that would be plenty!!! Oh well they are unlocked now and I have driven about 250miles to atlanta from my house today and it seems as if i might be getting a smiggen better gas millage? I have put close to 10k on this truck since i bought it all of them with the hubs locked and would have never even payed it any attention had my wheel bearing on the drivers side not let go! Wonder if i have hurt anything else?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58