Hutch mod. Let's bat this around a bit.

FoMoCo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alright, I've been mulling this one over. I see a few flaws in the installation and the kit from itp. Ok, first problem is the #8 starvation problem, Feeding from the rear helps that. Second issue is the air in the line and evacuating that to "prolong injector life". What I see is that the return from the regulator is dumping right back into the fuel filter virtually re-introducing it to the point of use. Wouldn't it make far more sense to send it back to the tank? Ponderance here, wouldn't it be more logical to feed from the front and rear of the fuel rails and pull the returns from the middle of the fuel rails capturing the air and sending it back to the tank? Also, wouldn't it help to increase the tubing size feeding the fuel rails to have a volume of fuel available to prevent starvation and decrease the size of the return or at least keep the same size return?

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I haven't seen what ITPs return fitting looks like. I would guess that it doesn't let fuel back to the filter, that doesn't sound right, it just allows the pressure to bleed off at shut off and return fuel goes back to the tank. My DIY version goes back to the tank and my regulator is modified to bleed pressure at shut down.

Taking return from the center of the rail is impossible, there are no ports in the middle, just on each end. The fuel shouldn't have much air in if you've done the in-tank and pre-pump parts of the Hutch mods.

As far as increasing size, the ports in the heads are 1/8th NPT. Only so much fuel can enter the orifice. Larger lines are only really necessary with larger injectors. Return line size doesn't matter, the regulator does all the work.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
What did i just miss?

are we talking hutch mods or what.
the master Hutch is alive and visits sometimes.

but he did route fuel back to the tank and not the fuel filter

he did try running fuel from the heads front and rear and rear to front, like rooster said there aint no ports in the middle of the head.

he did replace the "LOOSE, faulty, flimsy" fuel hose at the pump inlet to eliminate air being sucked into the fuel supply system

he also did the intank mods to again elimnate the air entrapment

all of this helped or eliminated the dreaded cackle and #8 starvation

some folks built kits based on his wrk and may or may not have great kits or garbage. i wouldnt know, i built mine from scratch like the master, over 65k trouble free miles and now mr.rooster has my old regulator..

if you want it done right to make you Happy, i would suggest build your own if your a handy person with tools and lines, its not rocket science, but it does have its own set of nail biting situations :eek: :eek:
do some searching and you should find all kinds of write ups on the proper way to do it,

it does make a world of difference, even in chipped trucks. REALLY :sweet

funny how everyone forgets about cackle and all the issues we had....I guess the 6.0 cured all that :sly

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
This is right from ITP's site.
"Additionally, any air "bubbles" that may develop in the fuel system can pass through the heads and out the regulators return port to the tank,"
I think you have misread something somewhere.
Jim

FoMoCo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
After I posted it, did some more research, I realized I knuckleheaded that one hard. Didn't read up carefully enough, mis read, mis understood and just flat missed up. I was going to post back but thought I would just slip back into the wood work and be quiet. Did futher research and found that the plugs I was looking at were the oil rails. I feel like an idiot for not looking at things more closely, but hey, I did the research before I tried to attach to the oil rails right.Oh yeah, I even mis-stated the mod. I really need to watch my beer intake on the keyboard. Anyways, this will be the next thing on my list. Thanks guys. Oh, and yes, the plumbing won't be an issue as I'm very handy with tools and a plumber by trade, goof off by nature but plumber by trade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg