hydraulic oil in auto trans

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wondering about running hydraulic oil or low vis hydraulic oil in my auto tranny.has anybody tried this or know of any isuses trying this? have researched the viscosity of the 3 oils. low vis and atf is right at the same. wondering about electronic compatibality,dont know why it would not be the same as regular atf. almost postive the clutches will be ok.
thanks rob

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
We had a thread about this over at TDS Richter69 sent me a link to another site that talked about this subject. Its a go. They like it better actually. Can't remember the site, mite get with him and see. They were using reg hyd oil if I remeber right. I would use low vis myself though.

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thaks johndeere
i have talked to Jon and he linked me to the site and they love it but they are running regular hyguard.
i was wondering because i am back working for deere and can get this stuff CHEAP
thanks again rob

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
deeretrac said:
thaks johndeere
i have talked to Jon and he linked me to the site and they love it but they are running regular hyguard.
i was wondering because i am back working for deere and can get this stuff CHEAP
thanks again rob

Ya, know what you mean. I just changed jobs back in August. Was a service manager at a local Deere dealer. GM dealer tech now. I got stuff and cost when I worked there, saved me a pile of money over the 6 years I was there. I would use low vis if I were doing it, no reason other than it is much closer to the viscosity of ATF and flows alot better cold (the main reason for low vis hygard). I can't see a negative impact of a thicker fluid in your tranny though. Deere uses reg hygard in all the powershift and autoqauds and stuff. They are about as close as you can get to an auto tranny without being one. Have manual valve bodies in some of em, but all the latest models have electric shifting also and you can shift them as fast as you can push the button.

deeretrac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am still kinda scared of trying this. i know what it costs to rebuild an E4OD(dont ask). what about additives or cleaning agents added to ATF but not hydrfaulic oil? not sure if ATF has anything hydraulic oil does not have. besides i have a aux trans filter.
Rob

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Let me ask you; What are you trying to do? Why are you bent on screwing around with something that works? Have you priced a replacement transmission?

Dave

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
deeretrac said:
i am still kinda scared of trying this. i know what it costs to rebuild an E4OD(dont ask). what about additives or cleaning agents added to ATF but not hydrfaulic oil? not sure if ATF has anything hydraulic oil does not have. besides i have a aux trans filter.
Rob

One thing I can think that might be important is friction modifiers to help with smooth clutch engagement and prevent slipping. Those are going to be more important with a stock tranny, and less needed with a highly built one. Racing built trannys often are run with type F which is thicker and has very few additives.

Other issues may be with additives designed specificaly for seals and o-rings.

You might try searching/posting at the "Bob is the Oil Guy" ATF forums. A lot of oil fanatics there with a wide range of knowledge about lubricants. Fair warning some of them will try to sell you on brand X or something. Stay focused and don't get led into joining an "oil cult" :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58