I bought the wrong instrument cluster

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My speedometer stopped working a couple months ago and I've been using my GPS as a speedometer since. Today I found a brand new instrument cluster for a good price so I jumped on it, only to realize later that it's for a gas engine and not diesel.

Does anyone know if this will work in my truck? I like the idea of not having the factory boost gauge since I intend to install an aftermarket boost gauge eventually but I'm not sure what else is different. I noticed the tach goes to 6000 instead of 5000, will my RPM reading be incorrect? Are the diesel specific indicators present in the gas clusters? My truck is a 2005 F250 with the 6.0.

I know I should have read a little closer before buying. I'm kicking myself now for the mistake.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off the top ? I'd step up and say NO.. it won't work. No telling what signals might get sent, or not sent, to a Diesel PCM.

Maybe call FORD for varification ???

Joe

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Returned incorrect speedometer for full refund. Seller was great to deal with and understood that I made a mistake.

Purchased a used diesel instrument cluster off Ebay that was guaranteed to work and still had the same problem as original cluster leading me to believe the cluster isn't the problem.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The speed sensor, located on top of the rear end, maybe the problem. They are easy to swap for a new one and not terribly expensive. This is the major cause of the speedo not working.

Dave :)

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I replaced the speed sensor and started a new thread because I am still having issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58