I can go but hard to stop

layedouton22z

addicted2torque
Reaction score
99 f250 7.3 turbo.....just started having brake issues.....brake pedal gets soft and ends up at the floor and the abs light comes on when it seems to bottom out...it stops but not with the authouiry it did earlier in the day...abs light stays on rest of time truck is on...once turned off and restarted light goes away until pedal reaches floor......what is this and how do i fix it? i am new here so please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!:dunno

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
have you tried bleeding the brakes sounds like air in the system or you may have a ruptured hose or master cyl leaking down what happens when you pump the brakes does the petal get harder?

Last edited:

layedouton22z

addicted2torque
Reaction score
when I start to brake it feels normal but the longer my foot is on the pedal the softer it feels and slowly goes to floor !!!!

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
when mine had this issue it was due to a faulty vacuum pump. replaced the pump and all was well.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
when mine had this issue it was due to a faulty vacuum pump. replaced the pump and all was well.

With the Superduty's, the power assist for braking comes from the power steering pump. IIRC, the OBS had an engine driven vac pump. The Superduty electric vacume pump supplies vacume only for HVAC and those perpetually useless automatic front locking hubs.

If the power steering pump was going bad, I don't think the brake pedal would be going to the floor.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
After all I have read on this thread, it sounds like a Master Cylinder going, or gone, bad. Easy fix and not too costly.

Dave

layedouton22z

addicted2torque
Reaction score
the verdict is in and we have a winner.....Master Cylinder needs to b replaced...took to a shop cause it was gonna end up there anyway......I really do appreciate all of the ueful help..you guys are great......i have a fewmore quirks with this thing I will post later!!! you guys rock.....an i thought i bought the worlds only 2wd diesel!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14