I don't want to believe it yet!

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is another 6.0 going to crap. I've done alot of digging but haven't found anything that matched what I've got to the T.

So here it is. I pay way to much attention to my engine at all times. So naturally, I noticed that it didn't really want to stay at a constant idle about two weeks ago. I wrote it off as a dirty fuel filter and decided that I would change them an oil change early. No I didn't pull them right away and check. So a few days ago it was getting worse and by yesterday I noticed that it was not maintaining a constant RPM while driving. I think two days ago I cranked it about ten times before I got it to start and then today it did the same thing. Both times there was no trying to fire, it just lit off. I did pull the small filter today and it looked brand new (its about two months old) and I pulled the EGR just to see and WOW! That thing has a ton of soot on it. I got some carb cleaner and am going to give it a good once over and see what that does. There was no build up on the valve seats and valve motion was not affected by the buildup. Also no CEL.

So after a bunch of digging all over the internet I have the following ideas: IPR is bad, I just need to clean the heck out of the EGR, ICP sensor is bad and the dreaded HPOP going bad. I'm leaning towards oil issues because of the rapid startup when it desides to do so.

Could the HPOP or the IPR be the cause of the surging RPMs? I could see how the IPR could be failing and causing the PCM to do crazy things. How do I test the HPOP pressure? Do I need a diagnostic tool to do this?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
HPOPs are not known to go out unless you have a LOT of miles on your truck. Get a scanner and do your own diagnostics, instead of guessing and spending a lot of $$$. I have an Autoenginuity that runs on a laptop and it will tell you everything you need to know, and more. AutoEnginuity® - OBD2 Scan Tool - Professional PC and PDA Diagnostics The internet is not the way to fix your truck.

Dave

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that is probably the best idea. I just wish I didn't have to invest so much money in something I won't use that much. When I figure out which $40 sensor failed, the ScanTool didn't pay for itself.

At any rate, thanks for some reassurance that its probably not be the HPOP. I'll still clean out the EGR and see what happens from there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14