I gotta problem boys

FusionFab

Fusion Fabrications
Reaction score
Ive got a 2001 7.3 with 30,000 miles on it. i was moving it in the driveway yesterday and she quit. The water in fuel light came on, it started to sputter and there it sat.I drained the fuel bowl changed the filter, and nothing. then I disconnected the batteries to charge them and still nothing. today i had a bud come over with a snap on scanner and the only code he was able to pull was a high speed sensor which he thought was a cam sensor. So cam sensor was replaced (hell of a place to get to by the way) and nothing. Tach does read when cranking bout 250 rpm. engine does try to start when eigther is introduced but wont keep running. Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcom to the site!

How old is the fuel that is in the tank? Give us more details about you truck and where you live.

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
1. Don't use ether to try and start the truck.
2. You need to try a better scanner.
3. CPS is often characterized by no movement in the tach when cranking, so if you replaced it, maybe you got a bad one (can/has happened). I'd return that CPS and ask for a replacement.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
fgtex said:
Welcom to the site!

How old is the fuel that is in the tank? Give us more details about you truck and where you live.

and i would ask
how much water did you drain out???
is it possible you still have a bunch in teh tank or system???
did any pass through to the injectors?
if it tries to fire is it white smoke or black or blue

and stop using ether :eek:

FusionFab

Fusion Fabrications
Reaction score
My name is Justin, I live in Thurmont Maryland. The fuel in the tank is about two weeks old and came from a petro truck stop in carlise pa. I didnt notice any water that came out of the bowl. That is the first time the water light has ever come on in 30,000 miles. When cranking some white smoke rolls out the exhaust, very lil though. I always treat my fuel with Howes traetment and have never had a problem. So if the tach does move the cps is good?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Can U get a fuel pressure reading?

What is the fuel level in the tank? Less than 1/4 tank maybe?

FusionFab

Fusion Fabrications
Reaction score
The tank is reading about half full, I dont have a pressure gaugr if i can locate one at which point should i connect it and what should the pressure read. I was reading other post about the maxi fuses and i have pulled and checked every fuse on the truck, under the hood and under the dash and were all fine.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump under the cab, its on the frame rail under the driver door

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14