Help Needed I have lost Reverse.

Nalicastro

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Need help guys..

2002 Diesel, 7.3, Crew, 4x4, 160,000 miles

In June, while towing my trailer I lost 3rd and OD and reverse. This was after towing mostly in 2nd gear for about 10 miles in bumper to bumper to traffic. When I reached the freeway, it would not shift out of second. It would go into 1st. I pulled over and let the tranny cool (the pillar gauge said it never went about 175). The light on the stick shift never began to blink. When I first parked, I went to back it up, and I noticed it did not have reverse either. After about a 30 minutes, the truck ran fine and shifted in all gears all the way home. Then when taking the trailer to storage, it locked out of 3rd and OD again, only while towing. I do not know if reverse also went out because I did not try it.

Fast forward to last week. My truck ran out of gas and then would not start. It was towed to reputable mechanic and was fixed today (air in the lines). He now says it will not go into reverse. All forward gears work. He is going to put it on the laptop to code Tuesday. I did remove the programmer prior to it being towed and returned it to stock in an effort to get it to start after running out of gas. It has not been driven since June till last week when it ran out of gas. It shifts fine, no slipping and I have not overheated it. The fluid, according the mechanic, looks good.

Ideas please!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is toast. All of the items that you described indicate you need a rebuild. You have no choice at this time, it sounds like. If you want to try out a suggestion before doing the rebuild, try changing the tranny fluid and filter. It might get some of the junk in there out.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is toast. All of the items that you described indicate you need a rebuild. You have no choice at this time, it sounds like. If you want to try out a suggestion before doing the rebuild, try changing the tranny fluid and filter*. It might get some of the junk in there out.

Dave

*and add a quart of Trans-X (Auto Zone, etc.)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
x3
it had nothing to do with temperature of the transmission
and everything to do with the 160,000 miles on it.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
The problem is in the direct clutch.Most likely the seal is bad. To correct it you need to dig into the tranny :eek:. Time to rebuild it.;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14