i have no idea?

cstewart

Cameron
Reaction score
so i really love this truck but it seems to be one thing after another with it. last night i was at a friends house and when i left i went to start the truck it turned over but didnt start.. . might have been cause it was a little chilly out and i only had one battery in it so glowplugs didnt cycle properly? but when it did start it ran real rough for a min or so. now it idles fine but the throttle has no effect from top til about an inch or so into it and when it gets there it just kicks in all at once. . . when i get on it it white smokes a little too. .? so what can it be . . i read alot about sensors and filters and air in the lines but i dont wanna start replacing stuff until i get some better ideas

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a second battery in there and remove the chip, or put it in the stock setting, and see if the problem continues. Search 'CPS' on here...common problem.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, when your glow plugs kick in you do not have the power to run them and the truck on just one battery even with a great alternator.

cstewart

Cameron
Reaction score
alright so got other battery in and started up fine and ran fine but still have that throttle problem. . i dont know how to explain it thouroughly (spelling lol) but there is no response until u push it a good bit. . . could it be the chip? also my 75 and 100 settings arent working?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, when your glow plugs kick in you do not have the power to run them and the truck on just one battery even with a great alternator.

What Brandon said, X2.

Proly a "DUH" for most, but for the "New to a PSD" guyz'n galz, worth Posting.. with Winter coming on ?

ANY vehicle these days.. needs Good, Strong, Clean Voltage and the required Amps, from a Battery (PSDs X2;)) that is/are in Good condition to start and run properly. (With PCM/ECMs, it's an absolute given, IMO.)

When we turn the key On, on a PSD, during the "Wait To Start" (glow plugs on) cycle.. the PCM also does a Systems Check.. IF.. during the check.. Due to low voltage or Amps.. All the sensors and relays in the system can't, or don't, send the required "Go For Launch" data to the PCM.... The PCM may go into all sorts of Modes to try and compensate.. the dang thing may not Start At All. Or If it does start.. It may run ragged, smoke.. AND.. the PCM may have set codes that will need to be addressed.

Not to mention the damage to components & modules.. that May have occured.

SOooo, With Winter come'n on.. NOW, would be good time to check the capabilities and condition of our Batteries(;)) (Independently) and clean the cable connections ?

Joe

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOW, would be good time to Load Test our Batteriess(;)) (Independently) and clean the cable connections ?

Joe

I like this term.....Joe I'm NOT busting you butt... This is the most miss understood term Load Test our Batteries meaning short them out and see if they will come back alive.
Theres some new testers out that can test your batteries for CCA with out Load Test (AKA short them out). just my :2c

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this term.....Joe I'm NOT busting you butt... This is the most miss understood term Load Test our Batteries meaning short them out and see if they will come back alive.
Theres some new testers out that can test your batteries for CCA with out Load Test (AKA short them out). just my :2c

Good point Dogman ;tu

Edited my wordage some ? No Busting taken.. ;):lmao

(But.. Be'n "More Seasoned" than some ('ol Guy ;)).. a good Load Test, with equipment that has an adjustable Load Bank.. set to the specific battery series/group/CCAs will give us a good indicater of Battery condition. The.. Good/Bad meter.. Don't git it, I agree..)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58