I have ?s w/fathers 00, 7.3

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
My father has 2000, 7.3, F-350. 3:73 gears, auto, 4X4. He thinks hes running about 13 mpg. He loves, babys this truck. He does use it as a recreation tow vehicle and he drives it like he stole it. The truck does everything he wants it to do including towing his 33' fiver with the pontoon behind that.

Fully loaded-- (Darn Marines we shove everything we can into every available fricken space possible." )

His only problem is that he can actually drop down to about 11 mpg. I want him to modify something, chip or tune or anything. He is open to it as well. So I need something that is easy to switch between economy and tow and does not invove him hitting the blinker twice the horn once and the on off of the inginition 3 times. :roflmao :roflmao

Mechanically he is smart, Tech wise hes a dumb *** and an old ****** with no patience.

What do you all recommend?

Last edited:

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
TS? and round about price will recommend to him right now. What about install, what does it take? I have not heard much on anything I would not consider for my truck so what ever you or anyone else could tell me about the the paticulars, let me know. :thanks

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed everything on my truck. i even installed the 6-position chip at work on my lunch break it took an hour, i like it alot you can change what power rating you want on the fly by turning the knob. i use a tow/safe tune most of the time which is about 50hp increase. there are DIY for intakes that are cheap and last a long time. im coming up on 198,000 truck runs great. the install is pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DI, ATS, TS, DP tuner... they are all great!!! You can get a 6 pos chip for about 350-400, or a three, four, five... what ever you want for less. Install requires removeing the computer, and cleaning some contacts. Then the chip just slids on. Install the switch somewhere and your done.

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
I think that a few basics have been left out. First is a larger ex, then a better intake. Then you might want to look at getting a fuel regulator setup. I saw almost 7mpg after install, then lost a few after the lift. Damn axle exposure. That will be cured with a better tuned bumper. Other then that some of the recommends should get you about 15-18 towing especially if he doesn't like to mash the throttle.

Good luck

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
Cheapest way to increase power and gain mpg?

Gauges (300 bucks)
Straight pipe exhaust - free if you get some pipe and can weld/cut or use band clamps, otherwise it'll be like 40 bucks
Tymar INtake - another 30-40 bucks.
Chip *insert name here* - 250 bucks
Zoodad mod

630 Bucks... and you've got a much better running truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58