I Hid My I-Pod and now use a Remote

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
About six months ago I hard wired my I-Pod to the truck 6-CD radio and rear seat radio controls.

It was a pain to either have to cover the I-Pod which used a Belkin cup holder, or have to disconnect it and hide it.

Yesterday I had an idea. Went to Home Depot and bought a 1" wide piece of aluminum stock. Bending it at a 90 degree angle and using self tapping screws, I screwed it into the inside of the center console. On the top, I drilled a hold large enough for the I-Pod holder to screw in. I cut the rubber cup holder nut from the Belkin cup holder I-Pod holder and screwed that into the bottom of the plastic holding screw. Since I already had the wiring coming up into the center console, I relocated it into the box of the center console.

I bought a Scosche remote control for the I-Pod and mounted the transmitter to the gear shift lever.

It operates perfectly and I can control on/off, next song, previous and play/pause without having to go to the I-Pod.

Best of all - it's hidden, and whats hidden doesn't get stolen!! :thumbs

I have some pics in the Signature Link below.

Last edited:

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
West Deptford, Gloucester County, Southern New Jer
Thats very close to where I put mine, but not as involved I guess.

When I first bought the iPod I drove around with it for about a month just sitting in the cup holder trying to figure out the best place for it to go. After using it for a month I figured out I really don't need to see the display (I have an awesome program director - me :thumbs). I only put songs on it that I really like (and know) :ZigBang:, otherwise why bother.

So I bought a Belkin Cig lighter plug with the built in line out plug and chopped the head off, found a site that showed me what all the wires were for and hard wired it from the inside of the console, under the rug and up throught the dash into my PIE. The way it is all wired allows the iPod to stay charged and it automatically stops playing when the ignition is turned off. I bought an iPod belt clip and clipped to my center console organizer (A far shot pic). I use an iPod hard wired remote control to control the iPod. It is drapped over the front of the center console. When the console lid is shut you can hardly see it but it can be pulled out to use without any problems. Here is a front view of the remote coming out of the console.

I've used this setup for just about a year now and its been great! I hardly ever listen to FM and the iPod has been in the house only 3 times in the last year to sync everything up.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OB !

Center Console Organizer ?!?!

I thought everything jumbled around in this dark cavernous opening was the only way to go :)

Where'd you get it ? or is it something you put together yourself ?

obonaventure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
West Deptford, Gloucester County, Southern New Jer
JohnBoyToo said:
OB !

Center Console Organizer ?!?!

I thought everything jumbled around in this dark cavernous opening was the only way to go :)

Where'd you get it ? or is it something you put together yourself ?

LOL! When I took pics of it I thought to myself that people will ask about it.......

I'm not sure of the brand but it was something I saw at Wal-mart, Target, or some place like that. Nothing expensive, maybe 10-15 bucks. Right now the truck is in for service (damn door keypad is not working still!) so I can't see the brand, but when I get it back I'll let ya know.

It's actually installed backwards and I trimmed the hell out of it to make it fit good with the CD organizer still being able to stay in place.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim