i hope i never have to change the glow plugs again!!!

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
White smoke is water vapors, blue smoke is oil vapors, and black smoke is over fueled.

I always thought some white smoke on startup is residual unburnt fuel. :dunno
Mine always smokes white on a cold startup but clears totally in a couple of minutes. Rich, I'm so glad I'm not your neighbor. :lmao

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
ok so i shouldnt worry about the white smoke then,whats crumm talkin about then,did these trucks do it when they were new on the lot?

The only time mine has ever put out any white smoke was years ago when I had a bad glow plug and the GPR was going south. Mine does not put out one puff of white smoke with 8 good plugs and a strong GPR. I start it in the shop at 45 degrees and the shop air is clear. I start it outside at -20 and still no white smoke. I would not be highly concerned with a little white smoke at start-up but mine does not have any. White smoke at start-up is a indication of a weak glow plug system, the more white smoke the weaker the system.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time mine has ever put out any white smoke was years ago when I had a bad glow plug and the GPR was going south. Mine does not put out one puff of white smoke with 8 good plugs and a strong GPR. I start it in the shop at 45 degrees and the shop air is clear. I start it outside at -20 and still no white smoke. I would not be highly concerned with a little white smoke at start-up but mine does not have any. White smoke at start-up is a indication of a weak glow plug system, the more white smoke the weaker the system.

but you always have your truck plugged in right,so your engine is always warm ,i dont have white smoke either when my truck is warm,even if its been sitting four hours no smoke,it just seems like in the morning after 8-10 hours it smoke a bit.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
I get a quick puff in the morning when its cold, but just one puff then its clear. When its really cold (~15F) I will get a very light white smoke for about 2 minutes.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
When its really cold (~15F) I will get a very light white smoke for about 2 minutes.

Don't confuse white smoke with condensed water vapor which looks like white smoke when the warm air from the exhaust hits the cold air of the atmosphere. At very cold temps you can get a serious cloud of water vapor. Large trucks up here can have a thick white cloud several hundred feet behind them when in the double digit minus temps.

95d1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So I get Blue smoke if it idles for 1 hour or not but when I drive the smoke goes away and if it idles again no blue just start up idle no matter for how long. WTF

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14