I loved living in Texas....

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except one March when I had a foot of water in my house in Cloverleaf. It's a whole 'nother place from everywhere else I've been. For all who've never experienced such joys, you need to take some time to go there and spend a while. Big Bend National Park is a good place to start and be sure to drop in at Uncle Joe's Cafe in Lajitas and sit a spell. Have a great bowl of chili by candlelite in the Red or Blue Room with someone you care about.

In Richardson, Texas State Trooper was running radar. He had a
perfect spot to watch for speeders, but wasn't getting many. Then
he discovered the problem. A 12 year old boy was standing up the
road with a hand painted sign which read "RADAR TRAP AHEAD!" The
officer then found his young accomplice down the road with a sign
reading, "TIPS" and a bucket full of money.
(And we used to just sell lemonade!)

A motorist was mailed a picture of his car speeding through an
automated radar post in Plano, Texas. A $40 speeding ticket was
included. Being cute, he sent the police department a picture of
$40. The police responded with another mailed photo of handcuffs .

A young woman was pulled over for speeding. As the TX State Trooper
walked to her car window, flipping open his ticket book, she said,
"I bet you are going to sell me a ticket to the Texas State Police
Ball." He replied, "Texas State Troopers don't have balls." There
was a moment of silence while she smiled and he realized what he'd
just said. He then closed his book, got back in his patrol car and
left. She was laughing too hard to start her car.

"Texas is a State of Mind" just doesn't quite convey the entirety of it.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
i dunno, everytime i hear about TX it sounds like a place i'd like to raise my little ones

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005Diesel said:
i dunno, everytime i hear about TX it sounds like a place i'd like to raise my little ones

If fond memories serve me correctly, you wouldn't even have to try to find a worse place. Although my dad's a Texan, my first real Texas experiences came from a cross-country motorcycle trip in 1973. I'd picked sales as a career, worked my way up to regional coordinator for a national company, and all that came with the promotions was more lies and debauchery....I bottomed out, feeling pretty ill with myself and all of humanity.

Normally, one couldn't have picked a worse time in this country to put on a bunch of worn out leather and hopped on a motorcycle. I caught some grief all the way to Louisiana (pretty cool folks there, too). I found one of those "Tour Texas" guides on the floor of a crapper in a Slidell truckstop. Doint the "Fort Trail" seemed like something that might make me feel something better than worthless for a while.

My first ever good experience with law enforcement came when a DPS Tejano found me camping out on the side of the road, brewing up some fresh grounds in a beercan. Told me it wasn't a good idea, but up the road (US 90) the Pecos River bridge had a concrete platform underneath that would shelter both me and the bike and keep me out of sight....if I had the cojones to ride it up the incline.

I've never been invited in for so many meals or been offered anywhere as much acceptance anywhere else in the world. I never met anyone in Texas who wasn't my friend, and I stuck around there for a while. I've been back for considerable spells since then and where the people are concerned, time stood still. Times have changed a lot since those years, but I shot down there last November for a long weekend....went down to Dallas for kicks, and then back up to Mt. Pleasant to take a look at Big Tex trailers.

I've changed a lot over the years too....for the better, I'd like to think. Here's a tip for you....if you're over there or passing through, if someone doesn't ask you how you're doing don't ask them....if you're in any kind of hurry. And, when someone speaks to you it's generally with a big grin and you can see in their eyes they mean what they're saying. Most Texans I've had the pleasure of knowing conduct themselves with an open honesty and sincerity that compells one to respond the same.

I like where I live, but it took some time for my neighbors to shine to me and me to them. They're rural folks, good people and all, but initially sort of cool and reserved until they get to know something about a body. Not real bad here and to greater degrees most elsewhere. Never been my experience in Texas....people are warm, friendly and caring until you prove you ain't worth it.

Most of today's kids could benefit from the traditional Texas upbringing.

On another note....anyone know what this is:

Texan.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58