I must be getting old......

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I agree. It seems that owners fall into four catagories. Those that keep theirs stock, those that need power, those that want alternative fuel and those that lift. What does lifting accomplish? IMO nothing except raising the center of gravity of a 3+ ton truck.

BigBadMarine

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Laying in a wet southeast Texas rice field.
I agree. It seems that owners fall into four catagories. Those that keep theirs stock, those that need power, those that want alternative fuel and those that lift. What does lifting accomplish? IMO nothing except raising the center of gravity of a 3+ ton truck.

Okay...I fall into the lifted catargory:D 4" to be exact. I know it is all relative to personal choices. I personally like the stance of a mild lifted truck. I'm just not keen on these big 22" style rims and skinny tires that go on them. To me it looks so ghetto. To each his own though.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I agree, I love a mildly lifted truck,but I hate 22" rims with skinny tires. I would put no more that a 20" rim on a truck, especially a lifted truck. But, that's just my 2 cents. I agree with you.

nevrnf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well part of the problem come from the tire mfr. Look at most tire ad's in a 4x4 magazine. All of the tires offered in the larger sizes 37's and up are narrow.

Teggleston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have said the same thing I like lifted trucks and have always had them but the skinny tires on the big rims are ugly. I do understand the reason for them in the off road world, is less rubber is less vulnerability to damage by rocks and things. But for pavment princesses the more tire looks better in my world.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
One other side note about BIG rims is their weight. Lift a 22" rim and you will be amazed at how heavy they are. Unsprung weight is not what you want a lot of. It is hard on ALL of the suspension parts, especially the shocks.

Dave

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
One other side note about BIG rims is their weight. Lift a 22" rim and you will be amazed at how heavy they are. Unsprung weight is not what you want a lot of. It is hard on ALL of the suspension parts, especially the shocks.

Dave

How is the weight of the rims hard on the suspension? I figured since the tires were on the ground anyway and not getting lifted off the ground, heavier rims wouldn't make a difference to the suspension. I know they're harder to get spinning (takes more power), but I thought that was about the only disadvantage to them--besides the extra money it takes to get them on the truck.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
it's the extra energy to overcome the drag to get, and keep, them spinning.

it's the extra torque they require to turn.

it's the extra load they put in a suspension (including wheel bearings) when deflecting over an object.

Reaction score

Now what if a 4wd truck works for a living? Meaning every day i drive to work and turn off the pavement onto dirt and mostly rock. Just tuesday i got stuck cause i've been fooling around and dont have my lift on yet. Was straddling couple ruts made by heavy loaders and i fell in and sat down on the frame. Now that was the only way i could get to where i was going and had no other choice. Therefore if i had my lift installed i would have had more room before i hit the frame. Now i dont agree with the 22's and the 24's mainly for the reason that you have to pay more for a tire that has less rubber which makes a whole lot of sense to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58