I need a raw +12V source....

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the batteries. My '95 F-250 has an 0 or 00 lug on the side of the power distribution box....I can't find anything similar underhood in my '02 F-350.

I'm wanting to install a bus bar to power communications equipment and need at least a 50A source. Anybody been there and done this?

Thanks for the help.

97CREWCABPSD

Smoke What Smoke Officer?
Reaction score
you have to go straight to the batteries for any thing in that kind of draw. Just as a rule of thumb dont require any more than 4-5 additional amps than stock on any factory wiring because they always run as light of wire as possible. As in your case the power lead from the batteries to the power distribution box CANNOT and WILLNOT handle an additonal 50 amps.

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks....right now I'm running a 12A 2m transceiver off of (without looking I think) fuse position #2 in the CJB. That's the 20A floor console position and I don't have a floor console. Temporary hook-up and too damned noisy anyhow.

Hmmmmm....on the 95's PJB lug I've pulled 38A. Wonder why there's nothing similar on the '02.

I've so far eliminated the batteries as a source because I'm not familiar with the dual battery configuration.

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
I would just run a set up like you would for a car stereo amp(They sell kits, or just go to a local car stero outfit.). A heavy guage wire with an inline fuse and route it through the firewall to your desired location. This would also allow for a custom install of your power station and your equipment.:sweet

97CREWCABPSD

Reaction score
like draft said just pick up a hot off one batt with a heavy gauge wire. for what your after it should be a piece of 4 gauge wire. and as far as the dual batt deal all you need is power off one and it wont affect anything.

97CREWCABPSD

Reaction score
oh and as for your noise problems you need to get ground loop isolators and put one on each device.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The dual battery setup is two batteries wired in parallel so they act as one battery. No isolators or anything.

Dave

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks folks....that's a relief as I was curious as to whether these things have an isolator solenoid for 24V start.

I'm running inline noise supression and will be running shielded Monster Cable to the bus bar. I haven't had time to determine if I'm still picking up line noise (suspect because of all the systems operating in the truck) or rotating mechanical parts noise; through the feedlines or antenna.

Sooooo....I'm going to the battery which is preferable because of it's filtering properties and glad you sorted that out for me.

Y'all have a great weekend.

team_penin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is no 24v on our trucks it is all 12v. Just run straight from the battery as mentioned above and all will be good! :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58