I need more air.

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
I need more air so I was going to do the fender sleeve mod to my AIS. I noticed that the inside of the wheel well is completely closed off. Do I need to cut a hole in the wheel well to get air to the sleeved hole or does it get there another way?
Thanks.
Jamie

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
More air

The oldest trick in the book is ram air and why the aftermarket has forgot about it is beyond me. I built my own system and banked the rest of the money. There is a little surgery involved so this isn't for everybody. I trimmed the battery box down about 2" and opened up the zoodad hole and ran 4" pipe from the grill to the turbo. I had most all the parts in my messy garage. The parts I didn't have were a 45degree elbow and a 4 to 3 reducer to fit the turbo. I built two of these. The second one has a little more refinement. Its hard to beat free power.

Car_nut57

Reaction score
If your truck has the insulation piece in the oval opening in the fender where the sleeve goes, you will want to remove that before installing the sleeve. Most trucks do not have this and you do not need to alter the plastic inner fender at all. The air the sleeve lets in com es in from the front of the truck mostly between the bumper and headlight assembly. Here are some pictures and instructions regarding the sleeve
http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/ford_ais
If you have questions, feel free to give us a call.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I was worried about sucking in too much dust through the fender well with this mod while traveling off road.

Is this not a concern?

Tbar

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Tbar said:
I was worried about sucking in too much dust through the fender well with this mod while traveling off road.

Is this not a concern?

Tbar

or small animals:roflmao

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Tbar said:

Is this not a concern?

Tbar

I was originally worried about that myself so I finally decided to stick my head in there and find out whats going on. It looks to me like the fender sleeve gets air from the front of the truck. I don't see any way the air can get there from the wheel well, so this mod prolly won't suck anymore crap than if you had done the Zoodad.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
I was originally worried about that myself so I finally decided to stick my head in there and find out whats going on. It looks to me like the fender sleeve gets air from the front of the truck. I don't see any way the air can get there from the wheel well, so this mod prolly won't suck anymore crap than if you had done the Zoodad.

I was too. Lots of bugs and dust 'round here so I check mine (filter) about once a month, does'nt seem to be any dirtyier where the air comes in from the fender than the snorkle. I take mine out and give it a couple lite taps on the floor.... knocks out the big chunks, stick it back in'n Keep on Truck'n.

I was in a Down Poor for about 2 hours, at 70 mph... Kinda travel'n >with< a T-storm, no water in there either.

Has anyone ever seen the Filter Minder move ??

:dunno

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
Air intake

I guess I'm not understanding the need for more air and just hooking up to the inner fender. You should have a 4" tube right up to the turbo. It doesn't matter a hole bunch when you do it like this. Your still " Sucking " your intake air. Put your hand in the hole while someone hits the throttle. Its real easy to route 4' tube in from the grill. This is seat of the pants from 20mph on up. In the northwest here, it rains, lots. I havn't seen any water, bugs or excess dirt from the change. Easy cheap H.P.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg