I need some mod suggestions

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO I just introduced myself over in introductions, I need some suggestions for modding my 7.3 powerstroke.

As it sits its a stock powerstroke 7.3, the truck has a 3 inch lift on 35s. I would like to beef it up to get it back to stock power, plus a little extra ;). Im looking at getting a banks tuner, probably a 6 gun. Im also looking to re gear with a Limited slip rear end out of an fx4 with some new gears. Possibly an intake as well. I would also like to weld in a muffler. My budget is around $1500 for starters. What would yall start with.

Id like to get some suggestions on mufflers, tuners etc. Id like to see what yall are running to beef up your powerstrokes.

Lets hear it!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have them already... A set of Gauges, EGT, Boost & Trans temp are a MUST.. before you do anything performance wize.

Then: Improve the intake & exhaust.... and it goes on from there... forever ;)

Go to the top of this page.. to the User CP.. then the signature part... Tell us Everything about yer PSD.. to date.. Mod Wize.

Like below ?

Joe

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have them already... A set of Gauges, EGT, Boost & Trans temp are a MUST.. before you do anything performance wize.

Then: Improve the intake & exhaust.... and it goes on from there... forever ;)

Go to the top of this page.. to the User CP.. then the signature part... Tell us Everything about yer PSD.. to date.. Mod Wize.

Like below ?

Joe

Im new to diesel modding. Wat would be the benefit of guages? egt, boost and trans temp monitoring?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Don't waste your money on Banks. They're are more talk than substance.

You can get more bang for the buck by going other routes.

Gauges are a must before any mods. As soon as you leave stock configuration, you begin to push the limits of the engine. The more you push the limits, the closer you must monitor the condition and temperatures of the engine and transmission.

The most commonly used guages are EGT, boost and trans temp. Transmission temp has always been a weak spot with stock 7.3 Superduties.

For some stupid reason, the stock tranny cooler is smaller on the 7.3 than on the gas engines. Because of that, hot transmissions were somewhat common, hence the need for a trans temp gauge. An early mod was to replace the stock 7.3 cooler with one for a gas v8/v10 truck. It was about 50% larger. When the 6.0 came out, it had yet a bigger tranny cooler. Replacing the stock 7.3 tranny cooler with the 6.0 tranny cooler then became the tranny cooling of choice.

The first step for the engine is to open up the exhaust. The budget route is to yank the stock muffler and either straight pipe it or put in a Walker big truck muffler. Most put in an aftermarket 4" exhaust from turbo to tip.

The intake is another place for improvement. Some like an open element filter sometimes refered to as a Tymar. But I have found from personal experience that open elements that suck in heated under hood air cause an increase of other operating and fluid temps. I like an accessory unit made by Ford called an AIS in conjuction with an modification of the truck's front grille area to improve the intake of cool ram air called a Zoodad mod. There are other intake filter systems similar in concept.

Then there is tuning. :D When you do tuning, that is why you need a EGT and boost gauge. Aluminum pistons will melt if you go with too much tuning and you can't monitor the amount of heat they are exposed to by way of an EGT gauge.

But it isn't wise to do tuning before the other things I've already mentioned are complete.

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't waste your money on Banks. They're are more talk than substance.

You can get more bang for the buck by going other routes.

Gauges are a must before any mods. As soon as you leave stock configuration, you begin to push the limits of the engine. The more you push the limits, the closer you must monitor the condition and temperatures of the engine and transmission.

The most commonly used guages are EGT, boost and trans temp. Transmission temp has always been a weak spot with stock 7.3 Superduties.

For some stupid reason, the stock tranny cooler is smaller on the 7.3 than on the gas engines. Because of that, hot transmissions were somewhat common, hence the need for a trans temp gauge. An early mod was to replace the stock 7.3 cooler with one for a gas v8/v10 truck. It was about 50% larger. When the 6.0 came out, it had yet a bigger tranny cooler. Replacing the stock 7.3 tranny cooler with the 6.0 tranny cooler then became the tranny cooling of choice.

The first step for the engine is to open up the exhaust. The budget route is to yank the stock muffler and either straight pipe it or put in a Walker big truck muffler. Most put in an aftermarket 4" exhaust from turbo to tip.

The intake is another place for improvement. Some like an open element filter sometimes refered to as a Tymar. But I have found from personal experience that open elements that suck in heated under hood air cause an increase of other operating and fluid temps. I like an accessory unit made by Ford called an AIS in conjuction with an modification of the truck's front grille area to improve the intake of cool ram air called a Zoodad mod. There are other intake filter systems similar in concept.

Then there is tuning. :D When you do tuning, that is why you need a EGT and boost gauge. Aluminum pistons will melt if you go with too much tuning and you can't monitor the amount of heat they are exposed to by way of an EGT gauge.

But it isn't wise to do tuning before the other things I've already mentioned are complete.

Thanks a million guys for setting me on the right track. I think Ill start with the 6.0 trans cooler, exhaust and intake. I found a set of guages and a tuner for a reasonable price. I do want to get an LS rearend, I have one in my f150 and its great! But that can come later. Thanks for the advice fellas!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I don't have anything to say now that TG and Big Joe
have all ready said it. On this forum if they say it, you can take
it to the bank, they have been there and done that all ready.
Keep asking you will learn here.

Doug

Bdons SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again guys, im looking forward to learning more about my SD, i know a lot of truck basics, but i need to read more about the diesels specifically. I look forward to contributing just as much as i learn.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again guys, im looking forward to learning more about my SD, i know a lot of truck basics, but i need to read more about the diesels specifically. I look forward to contributing just as much as i learn.

;tu

One thing to add at this point (?), on yer New To You.. Diesel ?

Take Your Time. Do and complete, one mod at a time. Maybe even Drive your PSD for a'coupla days, in between mods, to see & feel the results ?

Many members are on here, most every day. Post up any questions you may have, about the One mod you are doing.. or send any one of us a PM for Pointers, and/or Advice ?

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
What all these guys said! Definately dont go cheap when buyin and doin stuff yerself. Dont get cheap gauges, get the good stuff. MBRP makes great exhaust. I love my 4" turbo back kit. Dont put a muffler on it. You wont need it unless your state law requires a muffler. My 7.3 has no muffler and its not that bad. I got the big stacks on mine and its got a nice low rumble at wide open throttle. I like the DIY intake I did on mine. Made a BIG difference in the way it runs. Plus that turbo sounds so sweet! Check out the WIKI mods you can do yerself. Lots of great info on the 7.3's. Im still tryin to get through all the mods for mine. One at a time and just pace yerself. If you go cheap you will be payin big time in the end on these diesels.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58