I put DEF in my fuel tank...

Discussion in '6.7L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by DudeInTexas, Jan 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DudeInTexas

DudeInTexas SDD Junior Member

After owning my 2015 6.7L F-250 for 5 years, I made a big mistake just now. I got distracted and put a gallon of DEF in my fuel tank.

Fortunately, I realized my mistake before I cranked the truck. It is sitting in my garage and I am about to drain the tank.

Is draining the tank sufficient? Is it necessary to drop the tank and clean it out? Do I have to to replace the line between the tank and the filter? Do I have to replace the tank itself??

I've seen such a wide variety of opinions on the web I am overwhelmed and kinda lost...

I came here in hopes that some of you might share your wisdom and experience. Thanks in advance.

2. carbonation

carbonation SDD Junior Member

3. eZAK61

eZAK61 Full Access Member

'Carbonation' is correct.

Drop the tank, and remove pump combo unit. Clean tank with a good cleaner.
    Once you put everything back together, fill with fuel And add "Clear-Diesel" from Power Service.

4. DudeInTexas

DudeInTexas SDD Junior Member

Thank you so much for the replies. As per your advice, and out of an abundance of caution, I have dropped the tank to the point of disconnecting the sending unit. Disconnecting the connector in this picture is proving more difficult than actually dropping the tank. Is there a secret to getting these off? Or a better question - is there a resource that tells how to disconnect these and other Ford connectors? Despite looking, I haven't found one yet.

Ford_Connector.jpg

5. carbonation

carbonation SDD Junior Member

That red tab is a lock. Using a dental pick, slide the red tab away from the locking tab in the male side of the connector. A slight push down on the male side tab, and pull.

bcvickers likes this.