Help Needed I really want some quick help! Planning to buy 1975 F150

Charlse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am planning to buy a 1975 F150. It is a 4 speed manual with 2w (NP 435).

I already have F150's but mostly the late 80s, early on 90's EFi ones. I do not have enough information about carb running trucks.

Yes, looks of the truck is good and I can get it for a smoking deal. I wish it as somewhat to fiddle on and drive on the time of weekends.

I had driven the truck and you know it felt actually great. When I tried it, I found clutch was very good; the only thing would throw you back into driver’s seat as early as the pedal of clutch came up. Drove and ran fine from what I could notify.

Once we were satisfied with the truck’s test drive, I left it unoccupied and popped the hood. Even I used my infrared thermometer to test the temperature of engine. Hose of upper radiator was at the level of 195 degrees, and thermostat covering at 205, I got really hottest reading and it was 215, but then goes back down. Hose of upper radiator was not all too rushed though, that's once I observed a cap of 18psi radiator on it, I notified that stock is lesser. Approximately a minute of it unoccupied though, it indiscriminately spit out somewhat of coolant throughout the overflow by the radiator nozzle. Spill over had a hose connected to it running down the radiator’s side. Anyhow, any possible reason the overflow comes out some coolant. I didn’t see it do it once more. I popped the cap of radiator and the level of coolant was full, some kind of steam was arising. Any specific idea if that is a fluke or normal? Possibly the radiator was overflowing or anything else?

The truck’s carb is a Holley brand that is all I recognize from checking it. Though, the carb has not any air filter on it, and the man does not have any one. Can I make a home drive of 20 mile exclusive of it, or can I stop at Oreillys/Autozone and purchase one which perfectly fits the carb? Once more excuse my unawareness in this, it would be my first carb engine and I will never run my personal car without a filter.

Please suggest me something. Any assistance would be helpful. I am planning to buy it tomorrow before going to work.

Thank you!

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant is normal. That's why there's expansion tanks. Coolant expands as it gets hot and needs somewhere to go. Put an expansion tank on to keep from losing coolant.

Yes, you can buy a basic round filter from AutoZone, O'Reillys, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Charlse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The coolant is normal. That's why there's expansion tanks. Coolant expands as it gets hot and needs somewhere to go. Put an expansion tank on to keep from losing coolant.

Yes, you can buy a basic round filter from AutoZone, O'Reillys, etc.

Thanks 01yellerCobra for your reply. I know coolant is normal and it is just used to keep engine cool. I am bit hesitate to put an expansion tank, is there any other method to keep losing coolant?

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks 01yellerCobra for your reply. I know coolant is normal and it is just used to keep engine cool. I am bit hesitate to put an expansion tank, is there any other method to keep losing coolant?
I think you misunderstood my post. The coolant is going to spit out no matter what you do. That's why you need an expansion tank. To keep from losing the coolant. The coolant heats up, expands, and the extra moves to the expansion tank. When the engine cools it sucks the coolant back into the engine.

You shouldn't be hesitant at all about adding a tank. It's a good thing to have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Charlse

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my post. The coolant is going to spit out no matter what you do. That's why you need an expansion tank. To keep from losing the coolant. The coolant heats up, expands, and the extra moves to the expansion tank. When the engine cools it sucks the coolant back into the engine.

You shouldn't be hesitant at all about adding a tank. It's a good thing to have.

Ohh I see, Thanks again. I will go for this for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58