Ice Truckers

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched several hours of "Ice Truckers" on the History Channel yesterday. WOW, those guys are really tough. They were going from Yellow Knife in the NW Territory to the gold and diamond mines 200-300 miles north of there, driving mostly over frozen lakes. They really have plenty of guts. I felt sorry for the one guy whose heater never worked. He finally told them to screw it and walked off without his paycheck.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I watched about half of them and recorded the rest.

Tbar

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep they're nuts. Shot these crossing the ice bridge to deliver a travel trailer to La Crete, Alberta, about 400 miles south of Yellowknife, last week. Had to use 4wd to get up the bank on the other side.

This was nothing compared to the snow storm I got caught in coming back the next day down Alberta rt 40.

IMG00056.jpg

IMG00057.jpg

IMG00059.jpg

IMG00058.jpg

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, we have our very own Ice Road Truck right here.
Glad you made it back safely. Thanks for shearing the pictures.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, we have our very own Ice Road Truck right here.
Glad you made it back safely. Thanks for shearing the pictures.

That was a good run and I knew about the ice bridge in the winter that cuts off about 60 or so miles each way. They run a free Ferry in the summer and in the spring and late fall when the ice is thin you have to go in the long way.

Been running some of the hard loads nobody wants to take since Jan. Truck has been doing good in -20F to -40F weather. Only problems was froze both 1 year old Advance Auto Parts batteries one night, replaced with Motocraft..... And when it's cold out and I have the heat cranked my speedo gets really hot and quits working so I plug in my scanner and read live data to figure out how fast I'm going.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet pics when are we going to see ya on the HC. That would be awsome a PSD running down the ice road with all the big rigs. Glad to see you made it back.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonkadoctor, those are some great pictures!!!!! Yes it's nice to know we have our own "ice trucker" within our ranks. I'm sure you were on "pins and needles" driving across it all.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i never would have thought that the ice was thinner under the snow. that was suprising to learn. i didnt watch much of it at all, just walked through the room while it was on and stayed for about 5 minutes of it. looks like fun (assuming your heater works).

i was also surprised to see several on highway trucks like some volvos versus more of those "vocational" type hevier western stars.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14