ICP

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I pulled a P1280 code from my truck with my superchips tuner. It is something related to the icp. Any ideas? Is the sensor bad or is it something else. Thanks in advance.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
P1280 / P1281 / P1283 - (7.3L)

The above codes are related to ICP also. If the Service Engine Soon (SES) light is on and these codes are present, the ICP reading through any scantool will not be accurate as the PCM is using a "default" ICP value. These codes are all "electrical" in nature. Common causes are shorts between the Red and White IPR wires or between the Red IPR wire and ground. These can also sometimes indicate a PCM problem.

That's quoted from ITP's AutoEnginuity Tips page.

Is the SES light on? How's the truck run?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
The 1280 code could have been set some time ago, all it really means is that at one time or another the injection pressure was not what the PCM was expecting it to be. It is fairly common to set a 1280 code on a long hard accelleration if you are running a chip or programmer. If you dont have a CEL illuminated currently I would clear the 1280 code and see if it doesnt come back.

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The check engine light would come on when I turned the key on and then go off 2-5 minutes later when the truck was running. It never came on going down the road and it seemed to run fine. I did have the 10K mod on it and took it off but that has been 3 months ago. I did unhook the plug to see if any pins looked funny, but they looked all right. After I did that the light hasn't come on since just wondering if something might be wrong.
Thanks for all the help.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
So the light stays on for 2-5 minutes after it starts?

Check the wiring to the IPR just to be sure. Was there any oil on the sensor where the harness plugs in? Is there any chance you could get a scan tool on it to read ICP values. That would help diagnose if it's a bad sensor.

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It would until I unpluged the sensor and then pluged it back in. Yeah I can get a Snap-on scaner. Just tell me when I need to read the values, I know the scaner can read psi and voltage. I just had it hooked up the other day, but I can't remember the exact readings.
Thanks again.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I would just drive it until the SES light comes back. You may scan it for codes to see if the 1280 has returned. If it hasn't, it might have just been a bad connection at the ICP sensor which fixed itself when you unplugged it.

I'd have to go check my values to tell you what they are but mine will vary from yours because of the dual HPOP burns on my chip.

If you check them, see what they are at idle, cruising and wide open throttle. Both psi and voltage. Also see what the IPR duty cycle is.

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I will try to do that tomorrow sometime and report back later. I did notice a differance after installing the high pressure crossover that the pressures didn't spike high like they use to.
Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl