Ideas on 12v block heater when 120 plugs are not available.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
Find a girlfriend in a warmer climate.:D Hawaii maybe?

stroke_smoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
howa bout, solar powered battery charger,connected to a battery,connected to a power innverter, connected to the heater? this really wouldnt work over nite i guess, but if you park during the day and cant plug in its just crazy nuff to work.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Personally I think y'all are chasing the free electricity that doesn't exist.

If you were to buy some deep cycle batteries that could handle the load and warm the engine somewhat, what would be the cost/benefit of it? You are going to get maybe 30 seconds to 90 seconds before the battery loses its amp hours and you are going to plumb wear those batteries out before you see any benefits of the method, so think how much the batteries cost. Second solar power? That stuff is a joke with todays technology. They can't even power a single landscape light more than dim.:sorry You would have to have a solar bed cover, and solar 24' trailer to power the heater for 15 seconds.

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll just freeze my nuts off then. Thanks you all for your time on this matter. If I ever do anything, I'll post about it.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
BBBxcursion said:
Looks like I'll just freeze my nuts off then. Thanks you all for your time on this matter. If I ever do anything, I'll post about it.
Not necessarily. They make propane block heaters. My father in law had one for years on his old ford. If you have propane setup on you truck, this would be really easy. If not, it still can be done with small tanks.

They may also make diesel-fired block heaters, too, but i haven't seen one. Not sure how any of this works, so don't ask, but you should probably be able to figure it out with some Google searchs. Sorry I can't give you more info.

Also, if the issue is simply you freezing your cojones off, then get a 12V heater (or with the engine running, you could probably run a 110V heater off of converter in the cab) and this will solve your heat issues. These heat up instantly when turned on, and blow hot air until you shut 'em off. THere are even dash-mounted heaters specifically for this purpose.

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmmmm........Those look really cool.........I'm gonna have to think about that. Nice find! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya