IDI mods....?

TOTHEMAX!

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
what about adding a boost valve? what do the stock turbos push for boost? what are they capeable of?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The IDI runs pretty good compression to start with (like 20 to 1) so you can't add a turbo with a lot of boost or you will lift the heads and blow head gaskets.

I think about 7 pounds of boost is about all you want. Someone will correct me if I am off base.

Dave

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
gauges first!!!!!!!!!!you can crank up the injector pump,crank up the boost,3 inch exhaust,open intake.you can run 12PSI of boost MAX.dont waste your money on the ATS turbo/exhaust upgrade kit,i bought it fo my 94 and it sucked.nothing fit right and it leaks like hell at the downpipe to turbo connection.but you gotta get a 3" exhaust and downpipe before yo can do any of this.water injection,propane injection. go to our sister site, www.oilburners.net .all the IDI guys are over there and have plenty of info to keep you busy for a while.

towcat

mouse hunter
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
The IDI runs pretty good compression to start with (like 20 to 1) so you can't add a turbo with a lot of boost or you will lift the heads and blow head gaskets.

I think about 7 pounds of boost is about all you want. Someone will correct me if I am off base.

Dave
there's been a brave few who push 15psi. no liftoff yet.
recipe for IDI mods? Gauges(absolute must and use the darn things), turbo, intercooler, propane, 3-4in exhaust. Just remember...you are in control of your destiny here. If you do mods, watch your pyro like a hawk or you will have thermonuclear meltdown.

TOTHEMAX!

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
anyone know how to make a cheap boost valve? heard there was a way....

towcat

mouse hunter
Reaction score
TOTHEMAX! said:
anyone know how to make a cheap boost valve? heard there was a way....
when you figure out how to cram it back there where the turbo resides, let the reat of us know:sweet

TOTHEMAX!

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
here how about this, i pulled it off another diesel site...

Get a brake line T. Screw a plug in one end , put the water valve t in the top. Put a 1/4 hose fitting on the other end. A 1 inch piece of 1/4 inch copper tubing with a compresin fitting in the out put of the water valve . The water valve is a restriction , and can be set infinitely as its fully adjustable. It lets air through or stops it . The 90 degree in the design helps as it stops the air from just blowing by the opening and not being as efficient . I tried about every design when I was using a bleeder before the Bighead and this was the best and most accurate!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58