Idle Control

hbarbee

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
1990 Diesel runs fine, but recently, when releasing the accelerator, the idle goes down to the point that the engine dies. Which part would need replacement?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
on the drivers side of the inj pump there is a lever and what looks like a small plunger that goes in and out of the lower inj pump casing.
if it gets dirty or crud built up on it it wont return to the idle position (sticking out) and willl stick partially in when you let off the accerator and the engine will basicall not get enough fuel to run and die
i used to squirt that area with some lite oil to keep it and the seal area clean then it would work fine again.

if you actuate the trhottle by hand with the engine off you can see it the little plunger stick in.

88f250iditurbo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
idle cotrol

hi on the passenger side of your injector pump is the idle screw and the idle delay\ a/c kickup soleniod make sure its hooked up the correct idle speed should be with auto trans in drive or manual in neutral at operating temp 650 to 700 rpms

hbarbee

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry for delay in reply. The plunger on driver's side appears to be free. The kickup solenoid is retracted and out of contact with lever at all times when A/C is off. The engine idels OK, but returns way below idle when accelerated and dies.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
hbarbee said:
Sorry for delay in reply. The plunger on driver's side appears to be free. The kickup solenoid is retracted and out of contact with lever at all times when A/C is off. The engine idels OK, but returns way below idle when accelerated and dies.
hmm is it an original inj pump???
i would say if it is its time to have it looked at inside, govenor springs could be worn, gov plate, internal passeges , pump pistons, etc etc etc trash in the pump, have you recently changed the fuel filter ?
hows the power? is it using more fuel latley?

does the kick up solenoid pop up with the a/c on?? and does it idle fine then?
by some slim chance did your idle adjustment screw fall out??

82FordTruck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
hmm is it an original inj pump???
i would say if it is its time to have it looked at inside, govenor springs could be worn, gov plate, internal passeges , pump pistons, etc etc etc trash in the pump, have you recently changed the fuel filter ?
hows the power? is it using more fuel latley?

does the kick up solenoid pop up with the a/c on?? and does it idle fine then?
by some slim chance did your idle adjustment screw fall out??

agreed - it's IP time. This happened to me after I got bad diesel with a lot of water in it.

hbarbee

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I increased the idle set screw to prevent it from dying. Now noticed that when the accelerator is released, the RPM dips a couple of hundred below idle and then rises back to level off. If the set screw idles it up enough that the bottom of that dip is not low enough for it to die, then it runs OK. It is in the shop now for clutch work and I asked him to look at it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58