idle reverse/drive

wrc123

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok guy's I did some testing today and found that if I put it in drive pushed on the brakes and hit the accelerator there was no power from the turbo for at least 35 seconds shifted out of drive and into neutral. Did the same in reverse and got a different result there seemed to be a delay of about 10 seconds before it engaged and then the same as drive until I went from reverse to neutral the rev counter jumped to about 2000 rpm. If I rev the thing up in neutral its as if it is restricted. Can anyone help with this. Thank You. Paul.
02 f350 4x4 cc.

SiFlyBy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Turbos are powered by exhaust energy...There isn't a lot when you're sitting still. What exactly are 'we' trying to figure out here?

Good luck blowing up your torque converter though...

wrc123

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I first experienced something when I was backing up, the truck would have a delay when I put it in reverse then it would surge and accelerate but it would feel like the brakes were applied as if it was under load, then it would stall. The truck drives OK but it surges in reverse, I was only testing things out. If you stand on your brakes in drive and accelerate the turbo should pull the truck forward a little, my truck won't go anywhere for quite some time and then the turbo will kick in

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I first experienced something when I was backing up, the truck would have a delay when I put it in reverse then it would surge and accelerate but it would feel like the brakes were applied as if it was under load, then it would stall. The truck drives OK but it surges in reverse, I was only testing things out. If you stand on your brakes in drive and accelerate the turbo should pull the truck forward a little, my truck won't go anywhere for quite some time and then the turbo will kick in

Yer asking something from the Turbo it will never deliver. IT, at idle won't and can't move yer truck, in any direction.

Yer ENGINE moves the truck, the turbo only ASSIST's the engine..... AFTER it (and the PCM) sences a load demand. You can't (hardly) creat that demand, sitting still, brakes on, in gear.

I think you may have some Tranny/PCM issues.... not Turbo issues.

just my .03

wrc123

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry! i am not trying to move my truck I am testing it. If you come to a red light and wait with your foot on the brake in drive the truck will not move, if you let your foot off the brake it will creep forward on idle, mine won't. But in reverse it will move fast after a delay and then it feels like you are on the brakes and it will sometimes stall you can sometimes hit the gas and it will go but it judders.

dmd

Reaction score
Sounds like the transmission is toast. What is the fluid like, I bet it is
brown and burnt.

If it wasent, it is now from you "testing"

wrc123

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The fluid is as red as red can be, and the truck drives good and strong. If I am in neutral and rev the engine it's as if there is a restriction.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have transmission problems.

it is "normal" for there to be a delay of the engagement of reverse when at idle. there should not be a delay of 10+ seconds for the transmission engagement in either direction.

the normal delay is about 1-2 seconds but can be eliminated with a shift kit because they increase flow to the reverse clutch.

There can be several reasons that you're not experiencing the automatic creep when you're in gear and not on the pedal.

- low transmission fluid
- torque converter is failing and not creating enough pressure to drive the transmission
- brakes are dragging lightly
- transmission is just worn and nearing the end of life.

I suggest you first check your transmission fluid level. Then check brakes to ensure that all 4 calipers are releasing from the rotors completely when off the brakes. Then check your parking brake for proper adjustment to ensure that they are not dragging on the inside of your rear brake rotors.

Take the truck for a drive see what you see now I doubt this is going to solve the problem that you're seeing with the delay in engagement of the transmission engagement. After that take it to a transmission shop (any shop will do even aamco) have them diagnose the delay shifting but do not have them do the work.

dmd

Reaction score
How is this "restriction" determined when in neutral? What is it that you are sensing?

Need much better descriptions.. Seems like something doesn't help. What is it doing
in concrete terms?

wrc123

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This whole thing is weird, when I rev up the engine it doesn't rev cleanly its as if there isn't enough fuel getting through then once it clears its fine. When I'm in reverse and it finally engages it wants to stall so I give it gas and it goes then it starves and wants to stall and then its fine. I do not have the same problem in drive it's fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14