IDM mod???

Vindicator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the IDM mod? I see some that have it in their sig, but I can't find anything on it :confused: What does it do? How does it benefit my truck? And most of all, how much does it cost? :rolleyes: Thanks all!

p.s. links are always welcome! :thanks

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A user named Joe Servo on the diesel stop came up with it. It involves opening up your IDM, changing ONE surface mount transistor, and that bumps the output voltage to 140volts, instead of the factory 110v.

His current prices are somewhere in the 300+ range for a 2 cent part and maybe 15 mins of time.

I think even bob riley has jumped on the IDM mod wagon and is giving kickbacks to Joe for the idea.

Everytime someone asks how to do it, there is this HUGE hushup and a couple ppl get defensive and say it was Joe's mod and he should have it all to himself.

Me, Im a big fan of free for everyone and one of these days I might have an IDM modded and then take pictures.

benefit? not 300 dollars worth, thats for sure!!!!

kwazyca

Sesquipedalian
Reaction score
Hey Daryl,

When you say surface mount. Do you mean that it is a circuit board and you just un-plug and re-plug? Or is there a bunch of soldering to do?

Tom

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kwazyca said:
Hey Daryl,

When you say surface mount. Do you mean that it is a circuit board and you just un-plug and re-plug? Or is there a bunch of soldering to do?

Tom

Surface mount as in soldering (and not very much either), and its supposed to be a really tiny part. Those that have seen the mod done, or know where to look all say its a small part, but thats really in the eye of the beer holder as to what is "small".

jlayne

Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
makes me want to get a junk yard IDM and tinker with it.. but i'm not sure its worth it to be honest.. its only worth about 20hp/100ftlbs (stated) 10hp (actual per his own website dyno chart)... i have alot of other places i need to worry about be for i get that 20/10 ponies ($30 per hp., most chips/tuners will cost ya around 3-4 $ per pony)

here is a link to joe sevo's website where he talks about his mod

seems overpriced

Last edited:

jlayne

Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
sagebel said:
Who invented the 10k mod? I don't think he is charging for his mod is he?

Scott

not sure who thought up the mod but several folks are charging a VERY overpriced sum of money for the many versions... prices vary from cheap to over 300 bones... for a mod that even the most elaborate versions can be made for around 10 bucks, cheaper ones for less than the price of a coke

d.welch1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had sent my IDM off of my 97 to JS for the mod, it was something like $90.00 including shipping when I did mine a few years back (3 years maybe) you can tell a difference with the mod, it takes care of the low end power. I havent heard much about it lately, didnt know it was up to $300+...ouch! business must be good!

turbodave

Turbo Fanatic
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Surface mount as in soldering (and not very much either), and its supposed to be a really tiny part. Those that have seen the mod done, or know where to look all say its a small part, but thats really in the eye of the beer holder as to what is "small".

Something tells me you have NO experience in surface mount soldering/desoldering or much of any kind of soldering for that matter. :rolleyes:

Tell ya what, after you try modding yours, and ruin your IDM trying, let us know how expensive it is after that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg