Ignition override for pitstops!

ryaneverk2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to set up an ignition override on my truck, either making it from scratch using a diagram a fellow sent me, or ordering this product from Able2/Show-Me: http://www.southwestpublicsafety.com/sho-me-ignition-override.html

The way it works, from my understanding, is that you flip the switch, and then you can turn the key to OFF and remove it, and the truck stays running. If someone gets inside and presses the brake pedal, the truck shuts off. To deactivate it, you must insert the key, and turn it back to Run.

I've got two questions for people with the Sho-Me product:
1. is the switch that it comes with a momentary switch? Do you just press it once to activate it?

2. where do you have the switch mounted? Out in plain view, or hidden somewhere? Also, where do you have the unit mounted... it would seem you'd want it mounted somewhere mostly out of sight, so somone wouldn't see it and cut the wires going to it or otherwise fiddle with it, right?

Also just looking for anyone's opinions or thoughts on their ignition override setup, how they like it, how easy it was to install, etc.

I'm not looking to get a full-blown alarm system, just a simple ignition override to use when I run into the store for a couple of minutes, or whenever I want to leave it idling while I'm away from the truck, so that I don't have to leave a key in the ignition.

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, you could get a cheap remote start without the alarm and that would give you the walk-away runtime (cooldown timer type) and the remote start. For prolly about the same price.

I picked up a full blown alarm/remote start for my truck for 150 bucks. I just havnt installed it yet. Lousy weather.

Reaction score
Or you could go with the ISSPRO turbo timer and set the shut off temp all the way down. This would give you one, what you describe - and two, a useable turbo timer if you wish.
Not positive but I believe the cost for the TTM is lower than the Sho-Me switch - I have the TTM, just don't recall what I paid for it at the moment.

Ron

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DTLS Bob Riley sells does exactly what you're looking to do and it's pretty much a plug-and-play installation (there are two wires you either have to Scotch-Lock or solder).:thumbs

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the GEM module that lets you get away with that. There is supposed to be a "HACK" for other trucks to get something similiar with the keyfobs, but I dont have a link to it anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58