I'm building a Pro Stock Diesel Drag Truck

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is so much good stuff on the net for pinewood derby cars. There are also trick wheels and axles that go with them too. You can even find the axles chromed, since it will make the truck faster.

But with my experience, you are not using a scout approved kit...

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
We have to use the axles and wheels that come with the kit you purchased.
The wheels cannot be cut, beveled, or rounded.
You can polish the axles, and yes, they are the nail type axles.

We can use dry graphite or dry teflon type lubricates only.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
The wheels basically cannot be messed with, that is the rules of our local pack, which are the same rules that the BSA have set-up.

It's kinda the same principle as a restrictor plate race at Talladega. Everyone's wheels are the same, so where you can beat the other cars will be in how good your wheels and axles are aligned (straight), no camber or cander (where the wheels might rub against the body, therefore creating more friction), car design, weight distribution, etc.

Some pack's will have a parent/sibling outlaw division where anything goes, now that would be fun.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
Some pack's will have a parent/sibling outlaw division where anything goes, now that would be fun.

you should start it! i bet if you propose it many would follow! heck i wanna build one and mail it in to you for competition!

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. My boss and his son just got done with this, and he was telling a little weight in the front and the rest in the center between the axles. He said that the fastest cars were running that way.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
The pinewood derby this past Saturday was so much fun. Unfortunately my son Austin couldn't go, he had been sick all of that week and still had a bad cough, so his Momma said NO. I tried to play devil's advocate, but it didn't work.

I ended up putting so much work into the diesel truck, that I had to start all over and begin work on another car for my son. This time everything was his idea and he did about 70% of the work. He made a lightning bolt car. The bolt was coming out of a dark storm cloud. (pics to follow)

I was unable to take any pics of the races because I was a finish line judge.

Austin's car came in 3rd in his den (winning 1 race & 2nd in 2 races) His car had to go to a race off for 3rd and he won all 3 of those. His car finishied about 5th out of 12 cars in the overall races. I came in 3rd out of 12 entries in the parent/sibling class and had to go to a race off for 3rd.

I will put up some more pics and video of the races as I can get my hands on some.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu Good on ya Stephen !!

WIN or LOOSE, You and your Son have just created a Life Time Memory.... for both You and Him.

It just don't get any better than that.

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14