I'm having a significant problem

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F350, auto, 6.4 liter.

Under hard acceleration the engine runs horrible. It starts accelerating, then as the revs pick up to a certain point, it almost feels like the rev limiter is kicking in. The engine stops acceleration, the truck won't shift up, and it sounds like some of the cylinders are not firing. Bluish smoke pours out the tailpipe too.

When I let off the accelerater, it smooths out. If I accelerate easy, no problem. If I mash the throttle, that's when the problem happens. It happens right about the time you'd expect the tranny to shift to the next gear. The tranny kicks down the gear as expected, and the truck takes off, until the revs get to a certain point, then the missing begins.

I also wonder if the tranny is not shifting correctly to the next gear and causing the rev limiter to kick in or something.

I'm not getting any "check engine light" afterwards.

It happened a couple of times before (another thread). But today I could make it happen every time.

Mileage is 30K. (Fuel filters are new.)

Fuel pump maybe? Injector problem? ECU problem?

Hopefully someone has heard of this before.

David

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
you are in LA so i dont think the fuel is gelling. you say there are no lights, and i think these new trucks would quickly throw a light on for this but.........sounds exactly like a clogged fuel filter.

when you are demanding large amounts of fuel, its choking out, when you go easy it doesnt need that flow, and is able to keep up.

how many miles, and when was the last time the filters were changed?

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the truck has 32K miles and the fuel filters were changed last week.

But that doesn't explain the blueish smoke pouring out the exhaust. Where is all that coming from?

I was thinking it could be the EGR too. Where is it located? Is it easy to change? I bring the truck in tomorrow morning. It's still under initial warranty.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
the truck has 32K miles and the fuel filters were changed last week.

But that doesn't explain the blueish smoke pouring out the exhaust. Where is all that coming from?

I was thinking it could be the EGR too. Where is it located? Is it easy to change? I bring the truck in tomorrow morning. It's still under initial warranty.
How much fuel is in the truck? Believe it or not, at just over a quarter they lose power and stay that way until you put in fuel. Plus you really need a cetane booster added to what passes as fuel these days. Hope its something simple. Good luck.

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it to the dealer and they could not replicate (it had a full tank of fuel).
I am using Ford Cetane Booster too.

I think the problem has been happening when the tank is about 3/4 empty. I have noticed that it doesn't happen when full or when well above 3/4 empty.

Last night I was coming from a long job. Tank was nearly empty (100miles left on computer estimate) and the problem happened again. Think the low fuel has something to do with this??

David

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
I took it to the dealer and they could not replicate (it had a full tank of fuel).
I am using Ford Cetane Booster too.

I think the problem has been happening when the tank is about 3/4 empty. I have noticed that it doesn't happen when full or when well above 3/4 empty.

Last night I was coming from a long job. Tank was nearly empty (100miles left on computer estimate) and the problem happened again. Think the low fuel has something to do with this??

David

How much fuel is in the truck? Believe it or not, at just over a quarter they lose power and stay that way until you put in fuel. Plus you really need a cetane booster added to what passes as fuel these days. Hope its something simple. Good luck.

interesting.......poor sending unit design? :dunno

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm keeping the tank as full as practical for a few weeks. I want to test the theory of this not happening with a mostly full tank of fuel.

Will report on this later....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14