I'm Really On The Fence With This 06E17

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
The truck runs fine the way it is, even though I had the EGR valve replaced late last year.

I don't want to jeopardize towing from the way it is now - for possibly worse performance with the flash.

On the other hand, I know the EGR will foul eventually again - then what?

What do you think? Worth the risk? I've read the threads available already. Anyone with newer advise?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am taking mine back in the morning because of low fuel mileage and slow spool up on the turbo. I am going camping later this week in Texas. It has to be able to keep up with a supped-up 7.3 and a duracrap Chev.

Jimmy T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just leave it alone and unplug EGR if it fouls again. Mine runs better with EGR
unpluged (Better get up, and better fuel economy).

Reaction score
My personal thoughts are that we are always going to have EGR fouling problems unless a radical design change is made. I saw the valve when they changed my out the one time and I don't see any two ways around it - diesel soot and a spring type valve is just going to clog.

I have resigned myself to the fact that the EGR is now a normal maintenance item. It either has to be replaced or cleaned every "x" amount of miles. I have tried the unplugging deal - my truck does not run better as some have reported theirs do. Sure - if the EGR already has a problem - then unplugging makes it appear to run better - but with a cleaned EGR - it does not.

So as far as the flash goes - I will be taking mine it to get it in the next month or so depending on when I have the time.

Ron

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WD40 said:
I am taking mine back in the morning because of low fuel mileage and slow spool up on the turbo. I am going camping later this week in Texas. It has to be able to keep up with a supped-up 7.3 and a duracrap Chev.

I have the same issue with mine, 06... I'm getting some body work done on it, and will post back what it does once it has the new flash. I got 16 mpg out of it ONCE.. and now I can't break 14 even driving home from work downhill both ways! :D

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it in yesterday and they did a reflash on it of some kind, said the 06E17 had all ready been done on it. This was something new that had just come out on the transmission. I went with the tech and the shop foreman on about a 30 mile test drive with there computer hooked up. It got up to 14.1 driving 70 mph. Then I ask him to slow it down to about 2000 RPM to see what it would get there. I pull the fifth wheel about 62 to 65 when I have to. By there computer, 63 MPH was 2008 RPM. It started getting 15.1 MPG. Let you know more after this 600 mile trip pulling the trailer. I am going Camping. LOL

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are the results of your reflash? My truck is in right now for some body work and a vibration problem. I asked about the 06E17 reflash and the service manager got very quiet. He actually advised against it. He said he had several customers complain about it, even a buddy of his that had it done against the SM's advice. He said you do gain a little in mileage, about 1 MPG or so, but cold performance is not where it should be. After it warms up it's fine, but cold "it's not where you'd expect it to be"

I was surprised by that. His comment was to wait for another revision, but he'd do it if I wanted. My main problem is 14 mpg in any mode of driving I have, and my off the line boost is a bad joke. I explained that it almost caused me to get wrecked because I couldn't outrun my own shadow, he said he'd check the calibration and see what was up.

Another thing that surprised me was the boost level. He said that 18 PSI is the magic number, he check with his main engine guy there, but anything over 20 is considered overboost. Personally that seems a little low, but again he said he'd verify it. I can't fault the guy for not nowing when he said FIND the right answer.

So all that said, how bad is your reflash experience?

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i will chime in here w/ my results for those looking in this post. they are also over in 'salesman says'.

1. truck fires of pretty quick, quicker than before
2. still smokes blue, told that would go away
3. i agree, cold spool up takes awhile, but hot buckle up. w/ cruise set at 70, i stomped it to pass a sunday driver on tuesday and holy ____, i had to grab the wheel w/ both hands. it was at dusk so headlights were on and when i looked back, i say my money coming out of the tailpipe.:burnit
4. tranny shifts seem to be quicker or sharper (best way to describe it) i know there is a relearning curve and for a few times it was a little delayed.
5. i have not used T/H yet, that should be interesting.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
oops!
6. i was told not to expect mileage to change. now we know that the dealer has been yankin my chain lately so that remains to be seen.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
our mpg is back to normal 16 ish to 15 ish
power is SUPER , even pulling the rv it just wants to Go go go,
dead stop take offs stil suck, turbo spool is slow because of programing,
but once it figures out your wanting to go, it leaps out there.
smoke at start.... mine never did, but it does now periodically :dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14