Help Needed I'm stumped here guys. Could I get some input?

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eubee

That HP pump is a pretty close tolerance piece. It has to be to pump up over 4000psi. Hard pieces going through it is going to cause major problems. Check out Dieselsite, they have a new HP pump for the 6.0 out soon? It appears to be an improvement over stock, and cheaper too. I think they are looking for beta testers, you could be a guinea pig.

Eubee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, before ya'll hassle me about the crappy pics, please remember they were taken with a camera phone.

I have more pictures with all the internals if anyone wants more.

Damaged High Pressure Oil Pump:

Last edited:

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eubee

I'll assume the screen is the one from under the oil cooler. This screen strains the oil before it goes to the HP pump, and the valley it sits in is the hp pump reservoir. How come the screen is missing a panel??? I'm hoping you did that and you have it, otherwise it went through the pump and other places you don't want to know.

If you have the engine out still, a thorough cleaning is in order, starting with the reservoir. Can you get the oil pan off without much trouble? If it's accessible, I'd pull it and scrub it clean.

It's your money, but a new IPR might be in order also. Once it's all together the question will be whether any bits and pieces made it to the injectors. If you have the engine out you might want to clean the oil manifolds while you're at it.

After all that I'd put some cheap clean oil in her, run her for a short while, then change the oil and filters.

I imagine most dealers would just replace the screen and HP pump, but the fact is some contaminated HP oil was pushed through your engine, may be some injector problems in the future - hopefully not.

Eubee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll assume the screen is the one from under the oil cooler. …How come the screen is missing a panel??? …

Yup. The panel is there, just folded under to show there was a path for debris to get through; it was ripped before I pulled it out.

If you have the engine out still, a thorough cleaning is in order, starting with the reservoir. Can you get the oil pan off without much trouble? If it's accessible, I'd pull it and scrub it clean.

Engine is still in chassis, but the cab has been pulled off. I have been cleaning as I go. Oil logs have been pulled and cleaned, intake manifold had a LOT of crud come out of it, the coolant side of the actual oil cooler is 99% plugged off with crud (still working on this), HP pump cover has been cleaned, all the bits connected to the oil cooler have been cleaned, and I have been thinking about the oil pan but not made it that far yet.

…Once it's all together the question will be whether any bits and pieces made it to the injectors. …

The dealer claimed that one injector was bad, but refused to tell me which one. I pulled each one out and looked them over; no physical external damage, but the tips were quite dirty. Several are rebuilt units.

After all that I'd put some cheap clean oil in her, run her for a short while, then change the oil and filters.

I wanted to run some engine flush through it too, but I am uncertain if it will mess with the HP pump. I have used the stuff in the past on other engines with nothing but good results; but nothing with this high of pressure. Anybody have any input on this one?

Last edited:

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eubee

Sounds like you've been busy. The oil logs you refer to are the oil manifolds? Just make sure you use new seals and be careful or you are in for a bunch of hp oil leaks! I'd be inclined to go for a new oil cooler, if it's that plugged its going to be hard to say how much efficiency you'll get out of it after it is cleaned, and it is a pretty important piece of the pie.

I'd stay away from oil flush treatments unless recommended by ford on the 6.0. With the HP pump and the injectors, too much trouble could come from it.

Eubee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOOHOO! Some parts arrived. Now I can get to reassembly. Prices were not too bad either. The HP pump was $350.00 new, and the oil cooler was $225.00 new. Both were bought off ebay. I had not originally planned on replacing the oil cooler, but a 1500PSI powerwasher could only get a dribble out the opposite hole on the coolant side of the cooler.

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eubee

New parts are lots of fun.

Everyone that has a scantool should take a look at the oil temp and coolant temp when warmed up, if there is more than a 25 degree spread, there is a blocked oil cooler.

Good luck with your buildup.

Eubee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOOHOO!! It lives! She started up, yesterday, for the first time since Feb 18th '09. Now all I have to do is finish hooking up a few minor things, and I can take her for a ride.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58