I'm thinking CPS - HELP

Kelly Hancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My wife has said that a couple of times she has had the truck just die on her. She we slowing to a stop and in killed. It did start back up though. Today she was waiting for my daughter at school and it died then also. Now she just called and was out on the freeway and it was acting really funny. It still starts and runs. From all that I have read it sounds like the CPS. Are these the symptons typical of the CPS. I have read that the truck just dies and will not start. I had a friend of mine that said his would not start and was kinding acting like the CPS was going but ford just told him that it was a weak battery and a bad fuel filter. I have had problems lately with the battery going dead just after a few minutes with the DVD playing while the truck was sitting. I have had to jump it twice now. Could that be an issue?

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Kelly Han**** said:
My wife has said that a couple of times she has had the truck just die on her. She we slowing to a stop and in killed. It did start back up though. Today she was waiting for my daughter at school and it died then also. Now she just called and was out on the freeway and it was acting really funny. It still starts and runs. From all that I have read it sounds like the CPS. Are these the symptons typical of the CPS. I have read that the truck just dies and will not start. I had a friend of mine that said his would not start and was kinding acting like the CPS was going but ford just told him that it was a weak battery and a bad fuel filter. I have had problems lately with the battery going dead just after a few minutes with the DVD playing while the truck was sitting. I have had to jump it twice now. Could that be an issue?

This is from Steve Baz's website

A bad cam position sensor is usually signified by the PowerStroke motor abruptly and unexpectedly quitting. The motor may also be suffering from slight power loss and slight increase in fuel usage which is usually not noticeable until it is seen as an improvement when the sensor is replaced. When the CPS causes the motor to shut down, the tachometer will not register. If the motor fails to restart, the tachometer will not register when the starter is turning the motor over. This may or may not cause the check engine light to come on.

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
I just went through the same thing on my X. It would stutter on the highway, then die at a stop light somtimes. It would start right up after it died for a while. Then one day it wouldnt start and just like the example above, the tach needle will not move while you crank the engine over. I let it sit and it finally started up. I went and got a CPS and replaced it and its been a week now with no symptoms.
I did not get a check engine light and I dont think it really hurt my mileage or performance.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Yepper
sound like a cps
plus another notable item to check
the grounds on the driver inner fender near the power distrubution box. there is a special ground just for the injector driver module.
Mine came loose and did all the above, cps was replaced, but it kept coming back.
had ford techs and others stumped for quite sometime. even changed the idm. it was a fluke someone found it.

BJS said:
Yep you're describing all the standard symptoms of a bad CPS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58