Impeller question?

FoMoCo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, haven't been around as everything was hunky dorey until........I was running chase for the Vegas to Reno off road race. To get to pit two I had to go through some of the nastiest Nevada silt I've ever seen. -mad 12 to 24" deep and 20 feet to 100 yds. long. It looked as though I was in the race. First mistake and lesson number one was to not run a K&N flat panel filter in those conditions. It packed so bad that I couldn't barely shake it or beat it out of it to get her to run. Did finally though. Oil saturated dirt doesn't clear out of the filter very well. Note to self, use a stock type filter and carry a spare. Additionally and this is where the problems arise is that a bunch of the silt passed through the filter. I bought a new filter first chance I had which was outside of Reno. When I got home and inspected the ducting is when I noticed the dust trails and removed the ducting and simple greened everything. When I did the ATS housing some time back the impeller wheel was sweet and as you can guess it is not now. EGT's have gone up. Is this related to the impeller issue? There are several aftermarket impellers available. Here is the real question............Which one to go after and whom to buy it from? Thanks in advance. Oh, and while I'm at it opinions as to the best stock style flat panel filter for these conditions. I do off road quite a bit, I just usually lead the herd. I now have a spare Fram paper for emergencies.

wilpenusa

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Stock Ford filters were not made to catch silt like you find in the Nevada desert. You should go with a Ford AIS severe duty filter system if you expect to do that again Check it out here. http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/air
I got mine for about $130.00 at Powerstrokeshop.com

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of oiled cotton guaze filters. Another problem is the stock housing sometimes doesn't seal well and can dust your turbo even with a paper filter. I had a 5 layer oiled cotton gauze filter, did the grease smear in the intake tract test which it failed. I currently run the DIY open element with a big paper element. If I changed I'd run a Ford AIS because I live in a dusty place, it's the best for dusty conditions like what you encountered.

As for the wheels, I added a compressor wheel that looks like this...

View attachment 2782

The whistle increased quite a bit over the stock wheel with the ATS housing. But I was discussing dyno pulls with my tuner and he told me to go back to the stock wheel because the "anti-surge" wheel hurts your bottom and top-end.:dunno You don't need it with the housing.

wilpenusa

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I misquoted that price on the filter. It was 198.00 plus 24.00 for a new clean air hose.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg