in-dash Temperature guage

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
i have never driven a ford with a temp gauge that has actually displayed any reading other than stone cold.

do the 350's rely on this reading? should i replace the sensor? what would the effects be?

this has always intrigued me.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't rely on ANY factory gauge. Install your own gauges if you are going to look at them for information. Install some Autometer or ISSOPRO gauges and senders.

Dave

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
yes, i am with you on that one... my question is, does the cpu of our trucks pull temp data from the sensor and apply it to throttle, and such... in other words... will my truck run better if i replace the sensor.

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Yes, the Engine computer does use a several temp sensors depending on the vehicle to optimize performance. There is no guarantee that replacing a sensor will make the truck run better. Sensors do fail, but due to their construction they fail completely, and don't usually go out of range, for example the infamous CPS in 7.3 powerstrokes. ECM's by design check each engine sensor when the vehicle is started and due to the construction of the sensors they tend to fail completely and not just go out of range. Any out of range sensor SHOULD trigger a Check Engine Light on the dash. There's always exceptions to the rule, though.

The temperature sender that your dash gauge uses for signals is not the same sender that your ECM uses to adapt to changes in engine operating conditions. They are separate and not interconnected. If your dash gauge is reading really low despite it being a hot day I would investigate first that the gauge is right (install a new sender) and then look into what is causing the engine to run cold i.e. the thermostat failing in the open position.

Last edited:

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
that's what i was looking for. thanks for the help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14