In/out of 4 wheel drive

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feels like I have to put a lot of "oomph" into getting my truck in and out of 4x4. It goes everytime, but i usually have to try pretty hard. Its kind of embarrasing, especially when i go out with Jeeps. They usually have to wait for me to finally get back into 2wd.

Anyone else feel like they have to fight the 4x4 stick on the floor?? Ideally, how easy should it shift? I don't even know if it's normal or not because I have nothing else to compare it to. Want to make sure it's okay for this winter. Help?

JRJ04

Reaction score
mine moves in and out effortlessly.

maybe try changing your tcase fluid or look at your hubs?

donmichalak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There is a plastic bushing in the shifting likage that had to be replaced on my truck. Also if you never have try lubricating the linkage on your transfer case.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Feels like I have to put a lot of "oomph" into getting my truck in and out of 4x4. It goes everytime, but i usually have to try pretty hard. Its kind of embarrasing, especially when i go out with Jeeps. They usually have to wait for me to finally get back into 2wd.

Anyone else feel like they have to fight the 4x4 stick on the floor?? Ideally, how easy should it shift? I don't even know if it's normal or not because I have nothing else to compare it to. Want to make sure it's okay for this winter. Help?

check and make sure the bushings that the bell-crank pivots on aren't all rusted and seized up..

pretty common problem

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check and make sure the bushings that the bell-crank pivots on aren't all rusted and seized up..

pretty common problem

sorry (newb :( )where would i find that? I've never heard of it before :dunno

Basically... ALL the linkage underneeth, on the T-case that has to do with shifting the T-case in & out of gear.

Best if done on a Lift. If your Base has an Auto Hobby Shop ? Take it there.. raise it up.. shoot some penetrating oil (diesel fuel works) on everthing, wipe everything off, blow dry it all with and air gun.. lube all the linkage points with lithium grease.

Needs to be done periodically.. especially after a 4 wheel'n.. in water, road salt, mud, sand, grit and grime. Grease gets washed away... pivot points get dry of grease ? Not to mention just normal driving, in sloppy, Winter weather.

Make inspecting/lubing the T-case linkage stuff... part of the oil change/routine service.. maybe ?

Joe

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;tu

May not need servicing everytime.. but allways worth a routin Look See.. kinda thing, Imo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14