In the market for my first super duty.

davisjl1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first f-250 with in the next couple of months and i have just a few questions. First off all of my buddies have been telling me to stay away from the 6.0 are they really that troublesome? Next i am looking to run either 35s or 37s what kind of millage should i expect from both? Also i had a dodge 1500 that i was running 35s on and the truck seemed to have a tough time with the bigger tires. If i were to run 37s on a 250 would i have this problem? In yalls experience has a lift effected the reliablity and overall quality of the 250s?

Thanks
Jacob

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first f-250 with in the next couple of months and i have just a few questions.

Welcome to the site, and congrats on looking to get into a SD!

First off all of my buddies have been telling me to stay away from the 6.0

Do any of these buddies own any? Do any of them work on diesel trucks? Or are they in that group of "I heard this and that and blah blah blah"

are they really that troublesome?

No. While the first year or two had some issues, it is my opinion that the techs that were working on them were improperly trained. There were a lot of damn good techs that simply were not given the info, the learning time, nor the correct data to properly fix them. So what you got were trucks having "effects" repaired while the root cause went uncorrected. This is not a slap to the techs. Ford blew it by not training the guys.

Next i am looking to run either 35s or 37s what kind of millage should i expect from both?

First tell us what rear gear you wind up with and what size truck and options it has. Engine and tranny combo as well. All of that impacts it.

Also i had a dodge 1500 that i was running 35s on and the truck seemed to have a tough time with the bigger tires.

That's because it was most likely the anemic 318 I assume, and was probably mated to a 3:55ish gear.

If i were to run 37s on a 250 would i have this problem?

A 6.0 with 3.73 will turn those all day long with no issue. Lots of guys here run that combo. 4.10's will make it even easier. I have 4.30's but I believe those are only available on the duallie. And even then, only with the "Towboss" package.

In yalls experience has a lift effected the reliablity and overall quality of the 250s?

I can't answer that as I have never owned a lifted truck. I will say that through reading this board that if you try and scrimp on the kit, you will be unhappy. It seems that "you get what you pay for" REALLY applies to lift kits when ot comes to fit, finish and quality. My readings lead me to believe that Donohoe Racing make the best kits. But again, that is just from what i have read on the board.

Bob

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much to add to the above, other than the obvious that the larger tires are going to be harder on the drivetrain...especially the unit bearings.

Of course, I'd say chances are fairly good that you might have already had some similar issues there with the Dodge.

Some of the 6.0s did have some problems...that is true. BUT, what is the actual number of major issues compared to the amount of *****ing?

I was a little nervous when I got my truck...I had read quite a bit, a good deal of it giving the 6.0 a bad rap. But, simce I couldn't find a 7.3 truck I eqiupped the way I wanted, and with the deal I got on my truck new...

Anyway, I've had my truck for about 3.5 years now...STILL LOVIN' IT.

Try to find one that you can talk with the previous owner/owners...make sure the maintenance was kept up on it. Get an Oasis from Ford to see what work was done to it...at least work that was done at the Ford garage anyway...take it all in and pick the best deal for you.

Good luck in your search...

sawed off

Party like a rockstar
Reaction score
All I have to say is, Don't believe everything you hear about the 6.0. If thats the way you want to go. I only have 30,000 miles on mine, but I haven't had any bad luck with it besides the filter I added to it but now its fixed (just throwing a trouble code) Good luck with your decision!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58