infamous oil leak at the dipstick

rtxcoon

She Smokes a little!!!
Reaction score
yup...shes pukin'

tightened the large nut on the side of the oil pan, hope that helps, will know more tomorrow...

is there supposed to be an oring on the dipstick tube section that slides
into the fitting that bolts onto the side of the oil pan? cuz I dont got one...

havent had time to check it out yet...

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Lukes was doin the same thing at the OKC dyno event. He tightened his but he never said if it helped.:dunno

katarski

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
there's an o-ring on the inside of the oil pan side and rtv blue goes on the outside where you tighten it. the only to replace it is by pulling the oil pan and then pulling the motor. that's what i just did.

Stang65fst

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That is exactly the reason I ended up finding this site, I turned the nut off and dropped that stupid thing into the pan. After 2 days of trying to fish it out while laying in a street full of wet snow I cut a hole in the side of the pan and repaired it with a sheet metal patch, screws and sealer. I do NOT recommend this. I eventually had it welded when I pulled the motor. If I had to do that again I would drill a round hole and plug it with an expanding rubber bung as suggested by another forum member after the fact.

You can easily replace the gasket.

Remove the dipstick tube from the tube holder. Be carefull not to lose or damge the small o-ring that seals this assembly.

Run a piece of coat hanger or similar with a u bend on the end of it just small enough to fit through the hole and then pull it back so it catches the inside of the part and you have something to keep that internal piece from falling in.

Remove the outer nut and lower the inner piece enought to pull off and remove the old gasket.

Clean off the inside sealing area, install new gasket, pull the inner part into position and reinstall the outer nut.

You can then pull hard on the wire and it will unbend and pull out.

Use a short enough wire that you can slide the gaskets over it to remove and install them.

Removing the wheel and starter will give you more room to work.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Geez..................I would rediscover the wonders of JB Weld if that happened to me.

Tbar

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines doing the same. I'm ready to weld the nut on. I can't figure out why you would bolt the dipstick tube on anyway.
There's an on the engine repair to replace the oring but the problem is I can't remember where I read it...But it scared me enough not to attempt it...

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like Stang65fst said but us needle nose vise grisp,the nut will slide over top of them.this how i was told to fix it.just haven't tryed it yet.mine still leaked after tighting the bolt and putting atv all over it.

geonc

my other 4X4
Reaction score
One of the reasons the dipstick adaptor to pan gland fails is they actually dish out and loose the ability to seal ....not the best design :rolleyes:

You can actually distort them when tightening.....{don't ask:oops: }

There also are 2 index notches on the adaptor.....one for trucks, the other for vans.

The whole assy is less than $20 w/ "O" rings included.

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is still leaking, but not as bad. This winter im either going to pull engine to fix all leaks or just use Terry's method for the oring swap on the fitting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg