Injector / HPOP oil change

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
I flushed my HPOP reservoir this weekend and the engine sounds to be running smoother. the oil was pretty thick and nasty so i had to flush it 3 times to clear it out. i used a hand fuel pump as a vacuum pump and rigged an inline mayo jar to catch the oil. (dont use plastic as the suction just crushes the jar) after refilling and capping the reservoir, i ran the motor for 5 minutes to purge the old oil out of the rails.

this system worked great and it feels even better knowing all that sludge is extracted.

DIESELSITE

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Are you guys still buying into that Youtube moron?

The Bottom of the reservoir IS the inlet to the HPOP. The reservoir is replaced with oil in the pan in seconds. During a highway run, you're "flushing" the reservoir every 3-4 seconds constantly.

Anyone that doesn't believe this has never pulled the reservoir off their truck and LOOKED in it.

I gave a visual demonstatation at the TS event to a bunch of guys that seemed elightened. If you want more information, you're free to call me. But trust a manufacturer of HPOPS and an expert in the HEUI system, there is no oil change to the HPO reservoir.

There IS howerever, a screen filter in the 2000-2003 reservoirs that you may scrape debris off of when sucking them out, but you may also damage that screen if your not carefull. But... pull the reservoir off and see just where you sucked oil from and you'll feel pretty silly for posting that you sucked that dirty oil out. You probably had your hose right into the inlet of the HPOP.

I have no interest in arguing this topic, and as Rush would say ..... "Do not doubt me" :lmao

My favorite quote I have told many guys so far over the phone is this " If you are anal enough to feel the need to pull the 1/2 quart or so of oil out of the reservoir, you must loose sleep over the quart or two left in the rails!"

Bob

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
i drained my oil, filled with new and ran my truck... the HPOP oil was still thick and black as pitch. if it recycles every 2-3 seconds as you state, then the oil would have been fresh and new as the oil i just dumped into the pan. ONLY after flushing it 3 times did i get any clarity at all from the oil in the reservoir. i am not selling anything or profiting in any way from this post so if it was bunk, why would i waste my time posting my results?

I do not feel silly for posting. i do feel your reply is condescending and when a company accuses me of claiming false results it make me want to steer clear of interactions with that company. The oil i removed from the reservoir was very thick and dirty.

Last edited:

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
ha ha condescending. I think that guy on youtube is condensing. But its great for how-too's not so much what-too's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58