injector noise?

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The primary noise you hear when a diesel running aside from the turbo when its going is the injectors or the actual combustion in the cyclinders?

I passed a 350 today on the street with the car and noticed it was very quiet relative to my 350 it looked like a 04 0r 05.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He may have had a custom tune written for it with the pilot injection turned back on.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
pilot injection is a very small injection event that "warms up" the combustion chamber immediatly before the main injection event. it serves many purposes, most importantly being the lower noise and harmful exhaust emmisions.

the newer common rail systems i am working on currently are capable of 5 injection events per cycle, although only 4 are being used....
1- pilot injection
2- pre injection
3- main injection
4- for dpf regen only, with exhaust valve open, only for dumping raw unburnt fuel onto the cat to "super heat" the exhaust just before it enters the dpf.

Last edited:

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the early engines, they couldn't keep injectors in them. Many different failure modes, some happened because of garbage quality control. Some of it they traced back to the software and pushing too many operations out of the injectors.

I'm not real sure what the correct answer is, or if it was a comedy of errors.

F350newbie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Zookie400,

Do 04 F-350 SD have an injection cycle with the exhaust valve open for CAT after burn? If they do what happens when a CAT delete is done? Can the injection cycle for open exhaust valve be turned off?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
im no 6.0 guru... but the post combustion shot is only for dpf regeneration, and the 6.0's dont have a dpf. also, i dont think HEUI injection systems can handle that many injection events per cycle, common rail can however.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14