Injector Options

jflaig

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have just completed by 6" stack kit, the 6637 intake, ccv mod, and normal matience and have started looking at injectors and programs. I have decided that I will most likely be going with a custom dp tuner with a couple basic tunes, but have some questions about injectors. I have two options that I have listed below and would like everyone's opinion, good or bad. The two options are the following:

1) Rebuild my stock 2000 7.3L injectors using the Stage 2/c kit (retaining split shot) from diy-injectors.com

-or-

2) Rebuild a set of 95 7.3L single shot injectors using the stage 2 kit from the same website.

I have the stock set in the truck and I have the 95 set from another project, so both are available, but I am worried about tunes and compatibilty with the older injectors. Please let me know what you think, any infromation will be useful in my decision. Thank you.

Joe

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Split shots and single shots require different tuning programing. A single shot injector will idle like crap on a split shot tune. I know from first hand experience.

I went thru a lot to get tuning for my single shot injectors to run without some sort of issues. Superduty 7.3's with single shots require sort of a "crossbreed" PCM program since the original tuning was split shot based.

Everybody has their favorite tuner and I'm not going to start a "tuner war" here. But after "fails" with the first two sources, Bill @ Power Hungry Performance was the one that finally figured it all out. The first two tuners had very rough idle, high EGT or SES lights. Bill's tunes has it running like a raped ape, smooth idle, reasonable EGT's and NO SES lights!

From what I've heard from at least three tuners, single shots will yield more horsepower & torque, as well as more smoke. And they can be tuned for better mileage than splits. But with emissions laws & vehicle testing variing from locality to locality and from month to month, using splits or singles is a call you'll have to make for yourself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14