Injector Recommendations

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I'm starting to think I'm getting close to needing new injectors. The factory ones have lasted for 265,000 miles. Every time I do a cold start, I get a pretty thick white cloud from the tailpipe that lasts for something like 20 to 30 seconds before it clears.

Since I have an early 99, I probably have AB injectors. I think I'd like to put in some lightly tweaked AD's in, nothing real wild like 530's. I don't have the HPOP for that and don't have any desire to shell out for a Stealth pump or similiar big oil setup. I will likely put in a later version stock type HPOP eventually. I'm thinking tweaked injectors good for an extra 60 to 80 hp or so, either ready made or a "send urs in and we'll re-build them" type deal.

I know there are are a few folks around here that track where the latest best deal is at more closely than I do. So if anybody has some enlightenment to lay on me, have at it.:thumbs

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest swapping to single shots if you are planning on going with a little more fuel. If you go with modded split shots your going to be short on hpo, i think youd be better off oil wise if you went with stage 2's. My vote is for BDP stage 2's.

BIGBLUECREW

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
lukecline said:
I would suggest swapping to single shots if you are planning on going with a little more fuel. If you go with modded split shots your going to be short on hpo, i think youd be better off oil wise if you went with stage 2's. My vote is for BDP stage 2's.

I am kind of new around here, so I was wondering what BDP stage 2's are???
:confused:

Frank

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tail_Gunner said:
I'm starting to think I'm getting close to needing new injectors. The factory ones have lasted for 265,000 miles. Every time I do a cold start, I get a pretty thick white cloud from the tailpipe that lasts for something like 20 to 30 seconds before it clears.

Since I have an early 99, I probably have AB injectors. I think I'd like to put in some lightly tweaked AD's in, nothing real wild like 530's. I don't have the HPOP for that and don't have any desire to shell out for a Stealth pump or similiar big oil setup. I will likely put in a later version stock type HPOP eventually. I'm thinking tweaked injectors good for an extra 60 to 80 hp or so, either ready made or a "send urs in and we'll re-build them" type deal.

I know there are are a few folks around here that track where the latest best deal is at more closely than I do. So if anybody has some enlightenment to lay on me, have at it.:thumbs

I was in the same position you are in. I put the stage 1's in my 1995 at 330,000 miles and could not be happier. Then had my son's 2000 injectors rebuilt into Single Shot Stage 1's. It cured his problems as well. You do have to go to chip or reprogram the one you may already have to go from split shots to single shots.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
It sounds like Bean's single-shots is a pretty popular opinion.

Enlighten me further, what is the advantage of switching to a single shot injector. If singles are better, why did IH/Ford switch to splitshots, emissions maybe?? What are the fuel mileage ramifications of changing to single shots?

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Single shots need less HPO to run them. Therefore you can get a higher volume of fuel into the combustion chamber without "big oil" I'm beginning to hate that buzz phrase. They switched to split shots for emission reasons. The injector gives a tiny shot of fuel while the piston is lower in the stroke to begin combustion before the full shot of fuel is delivered. Also called pilot injection. Threre is no fuel mileage ramifications. I can easily get 18+ mpg (have seen 20 more than once) if I drive like a sane person with my BDP Stg I's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl